DESPERATELY need advice! More problems for incontinent puppy

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
beanphd

DESPERATELY need advice! More problems for incontinent puppy

Post by beanphd »

Bandit is only about 13 weeks old, he was injured and dumped when he was about 5 -6 weeks old, he was found and needed his left rear amputated. He has completely healed from the amputation, but the injury has left him incontinent. No control for either potty or poop.

The first vet he saw for his incontinence, said that if he wasn't showing improvement in the next couple of weeks he should be put to sleep. Bandit went for a second opinion today, and the doctor thinks that the nerves that lead from his spine and control his tail, and potty and poop urges and spincter muscles were completely severed from his accident. Bandit goes potty a little at a time, it usually just drips out here and there, so Bandit's penis is beginning to show signs of urine burning it. The vet says that it will get worse, eventually leading to bladder infections, becoming bloody, possibly becoming septic and maybe losing the top half of this penis (sorry for being yucky). He thinks that if his penis is gently cleaned daily, it might not happen right away. But it will happen and he might need to be put to sleep in the near future. He also says that expressing his bladder regularly won't help at all (for the burning).

I have to think that other incontinent dogs must face this problem, do other dogs end up being euthanized because of this? Has anyone been through this? Any advice for us? Is it as grim a forecast as it seems? Is there any hope, anything that the doctor hasn't thought of?

My mother-in-law wanted to adopt him, but she doesn't want to now, because she doesn't want to become attached and have to put him to sleep in a year (or whenever). I can't bear to see the life fade from his wonderful, happy, lovable face.
Attachments
IMG00024.JPG
Paul Coover

Re: DESPERATELY need advice! More problems for incontinent p

Post by Paul Coover »

Well, we have 2 incontinent dogs and they have never had a problem. They have never had any infections or UTI's or anything. It sounds to me like the vet is being too negative!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
beanphd

Post by beanphd »

Do they piddle a little at a time, (drop by drop)? The vet says this is why this is happening. He is supposedly showing signs of this happening, he is having erosion on his penis already, that is what the vet showed me today.
beanphd

Post by beanphd »

Were you ever told that they would have these problems in the future?
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

UTI's and kidney infections are always possibilities with incontinence, but we have never been told anything by the vet that it would definitely plague them in the future. They are all preventable & curable. You need to know the signs of UTI's, like dark colored urine or foul smelling urine, crystals in the urine, things like that.

Urine burn is usually from the dog peeing and sitting in the pee. If you can keep clean bedding under the dog, then urine burn should not occur.

We have all dealt with people telling us that our dogs should be put down because we are letting them suffer. I am here to tell you that THIS IS NOT TRUE! Our handicapped dogs live very happy and healthy lives, despite their handicap & incontinence.

Check this out. Click on the video link to see our Johanna in action.

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/specialreport/BO25472/

Good luck!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
beanphd

Post by beanphd »

Are the doctors trying to convince us to have him put to sleep? Is he making this into something much bigger than it really is?

Do you think he might have big medical expenses though (not that it should matter), but my mother-in-law wants to take him because she has more time for him, but she can't afford to bring him to the vet all the time for infections. The rescue org that fixed his leg won't continue to lend their support for his care much longer, I can't blame them, if we can't find him a home soon, the rescue wants to put him to sleep.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm confused that the vet says expressing WON'T help, yet he says peeing in drips and drabs is scalding him. I'd start expressing, and I'd use Cavilon spray http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/ ... FQEAAmqJNo! or http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... tingSpray/ --same ingredient. Like Paul, I think this vet is entirely too negative.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Dear beanphd,

I am not sure I have ever seen Paul use capital letters--hope you saw that!

I agree with everyone else. What does your vet mean expressing won't help? The more urine you squeeze out by expressing, the less is going to come out drip by drip and irritate. Here is info on expressing.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

Critters gave you a link for Cavilon spray. It is used in human medicine to provide a protective skin barrier against wetness. You spray it on and you are good for up to 72 hrs--that's 3 days! How hard is it to spray a little spritz of spray on your dog 2-3 times a week? Cavilon spray is available in consumer brands, not just the hospital brand. Here is a message with info on getting the consumer brands.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/help/viewtopic.php?p=38443

I agree with you, that puppy is too precious, you need another vet.

P.S. There have been people on this message board who had vets that did not know how to express--you may have one of them.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Are the doctors trying to convince us to have him put to sleep?
Yes, I think they are trying to convince you to put him to sleep (PTS). Please TRY learning to express. Take the advice from some experienced owners of incontinent pets on this bb and let the little guy live.

My dog has been paralyzed and incontinent 2 years. He has NOT had a urinary tract infection in that time. The vet also recommended PTS. We didn't listen to the vet, and allowed our happy dog to live.

NO ONE TAUGHT US HOW TO EXPRESS. My vet never even talked about it. You've got a head start. You can read how to do it on this bb, and teach yourself. I taught myself. *If you don't express urine, your pup will probably die from a severe UTI.* You CAN do this(express) so that you give this cute little pup a chance.

Put a dab of antibiotic cream on his p*nis and retract the foreskin to cover. That will help reduce contact with bacteria. Erosion could be caused by urine scald.

Give him a bath to help keep him clean.

I found it was easier to express if the bladder was full. Dribbling after finishing expressing indicated that I hadn't expressed completely.

I want you to succeed. Please let us know how you are doing today. Your puppy is such a cute little guy that he deserves a chance at life.

Dianne

PS Get a new vet. Interview a vet's office by phone and ask if they care for incontinent or handicapped pets. If they indicate that they don't care for pets like that, call the next office.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I bet he already has a UTI...make sure you have a culture done, and get some antibiotics for him if he does have a UTI.

I too have a paralyzed and incontinent dog. I express him several times a day! There are belly bands and pads that can be used. Poor thing,...I hope you will spend some time to help him.

Incontinence can be managed....
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty