diaper problems

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
mommer

diaper problems

Post by mommer »

My cat was born with no hip sockets so she has to use a diaper and she (oni) drags herself around during the time that I am not at home and the diaper always falls off, but when I am home and she is in her wheel chair we have no problem. I need help on keeping the diaper on when she is not in the wheel chair. I think the carpet keeps pulling it off or something, anyone have any idea. Much appreciated.
mommer
mumpkees

Re: diaper problems

Post by mumpkees »

Hi! Another fellow Texan here and mother of the three in diapers that were mentioned in the link posted above. While all the ways mentioned in the link to hold the diapers on are excellent and probably better than the method we used, the 'poor mans' way of doing it when we first started was regular masking tape. Back ten years or so when we had our first in diapers, there wasn't near the support system that this BB affords and KaiWind was the champion at diaper removal (once he realized each time that he was going to be diapered and the playing of dying kitty wasn't going to get him anywhere). He'd hop up, and immediately grab a tab and pull, fall over and get up from the other side and with a simple leg pull he was out of the diaper. We tried using duct tape over the tabs and he quickly mastered removing those too. So because we were worried that wrapping him all the way around with duct tape would pull his fur, we opted for masking tape. Wrapped around the entire diaper a couple of times, was more work than he wanted to invest if it cut into his freedom and ply time so after a couple of attempts he left it alone and the diaper stayed on for the duration of his family time. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
mommer

Post by mommer »

Thank you for replying, this helps, I am new at this and if I can get the diaper to stay on my husband will be able to handle this better. My daughter was caring for the cat but it got to be to much for her and she thought she was going to have to put her down. And I am a animal lover and couldn't see that. So now we have 5 normal cats and one handicap, which she picks on the others all the time.
mommer
JinxMagee

Post by JinxMagee »

I also have a kitty that can slip out of her diapers, usually it's not intentional though! I've found that using a pet undergarmet over the diaper helps keep them on. They make them for cats, but you can find them at the big pet stores in the dog section.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

onesies come highly recommended!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Cam

Post by Cam »

Try the new Fancy pants here at Handicapped pets, my kitty is paralized and drags his lower body and when I started using these he has never slipped out. It helps with any leaks and they are really really cute. Everyone thinks hes a doll.