poop problems

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
Tiffany

poop problems

Post by Tiffany »

Hello everyone,
I haven't been around for a while I was busy moving I just have a quick question for you guys, is there anything I can give a dog for diariah (spelling?) Eros has had it since last night I think he got into the trash yesterday I was just wondering if you can give them any kind of human meds or some kind of food or something, and maybe some pedialyte (electrolytes) so he doesn't get dehydrated? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW Eros is doing great except for that.
Thanks agian
Eros & Tiffany

Also he is eating and drinking regularly
Eros & Tiffany
Never lose hope, Miracles happen all the time!
Christine

Re: poop problems

Post by Christine »

Hi Tiffany!

Sorry Eros is having problems, he went dumpster diving, did he?
Cindi taught me about giving canned pumpkin with no spices, rice, maybe boil some chicken and add to the rice, the chicken broth (unsalted) will give him some hydration.

I also give Bailey Vanilla Boost with her healthy powders - just enough to mix those in. Between those two things, I know she is getting some nutrition even if she is having an off eating day. Hope some of this helps.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Sometimes not feeding them for about 12 hours and allowing the stomach to "quiet down" helps.

I agree that the chicken broth idea is best for hydration!

I give my dog Emodium, but I wouldn't tell you to give it to your dog without your talking to the vet. Hunter gets tummy problems frequently, and I give him a tablespoon of Immodium.(Edited for spelling) It really seems to help, but I did get the okie dokie from my vet first.

Let us know how things are going,
Cindi
Last edited by Cindidoxiemom on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
FYI

Post by FYI »

Christine

Post by Christine »

Cindi,

I know this is absolutely silly, but when I started to read your post, I thought you got a new dog called Emodium :0)
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

I have always heard that plain canned pumpkin does great things for them whether they have diahrrea or they are constipated. The dose would depend on the size of dog but my 20 - 25 pounders would get 1 or 2 teaspoons from what I understand. I do know that my dogs love it.They think it is a treat and get it once in awhile when we are making something yummy to eat.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Yeppers Christine suggested pumpkin earlier in the thread. It does seem to work well calming the tummy.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty