Overwhelmed by urine

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.
ljulian

Overwhelmed by urine

Post by ljulian »

I have a 2 yr old cat Yeti, who is the most sweetest and funniest cat I have every had. I found him outside when he was about 6 months old and I believe he may have CH. I have been battling his incontinence for sometime now. I do not know if he understands that he needs to use the cat box or if he just loses control. My problem is that I am a renter and I recently went over my house with a blue light just to see how bad the urine mess has become. I cannot explain the mess that was shone under the light. Practically every inch of the rooms had urine spots on them. I have tried alot of brand on the market as well as ones I have bought from the internet, and nothing seems to work. I have thought of either putting him down or trying to find him a home. But each time I think of those options I find I just cannot bring myself to do either one. My question is how do I get rid of the urine mess before my landlady finds out?
luvmytripod

Re: Overwhelmed by urine

Post by luvmytripod »

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

Have you thought about trying diapers? I'm sure some folks here will be able to share their experiences with this...it's a perfectly reasonable option, especially compared to PTS...
ljulian

Post by ljulian »

Thanks Crystal, I will look into the diapers
Christine

Post by Christine »

Do you know anything about expressing him? Check the incontience section for very good instructions. The odor of cat urine can be very difficult to remove and hide without some help. If you can help him urinate and use the diapers, perhaps you can get the carpets professionally cleaned and start with a clean slate. He is absolutely adorable - I could not bear to part with him either! There are several ladies here who express their cats and it makes life easier for all of them. Good luck to you!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
ljulian

Post by ljulian »

Hi Christine and Bailey,

I have never thought that diapering or expressing your animal was possible. I am extremely grateful to you and Crystal for the
information. I came across some info on http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-7780.html, someone there posted some info on a product called urine-off. It is suppose to completley get rid of the urine smell and stain. I'll give that product a try and then call for a pro to clean the carpet. It that doesn't work, I guess I will be replacing them. Thanks again
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

You can also get an x-pen set up in a specific area, layer it with plastic dollar store table cloth and towels, along with his litter box. When you are away or asleep he could stay in there, and poof, toss all in washer and protect the floor.
He is beautiful!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Note the handicat litterbox, too. http://www.handicappedpets.net/viewtopic.php?t=4
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Enzyme based cleaners like Nature's Miracle and Petastic and Simple Solution work. They do not cover up the smell, they digest the organic matter in the urine that is causing the smell. It takes a few days for them to digest it all. If the urine has soaked down into the pad, you need to pull up the carpet and treat the pad. Keep in mind that many of the spots you are seeing with the black light may have been left there by previous renters' pets, unless the rug was new when you moved in. If it was new, you may just have to pay the landlady to recarpet like you say.

I have one cat who peed in the old house before we moved. Now that we moved to a new house, he is crated in a dog crate, but I let him out in the back yard. I assume your kitty is fixed? Could part of what you are seeing simply be male spraying? Neutering is one of the things they recommend trying when that is a problem. He's cute! :)
ljulian

Post by ljulian »

Hi CarolC,

We had Yeti neutered when we first found him. A lot of the spots on the carpet are not that large, so he may be leaking. I'm going out to buy the diapers and onesies. As for the carpet....pray for me. I am so glad I found this forum. Thanks for all the great advice.
amyd

Post by amyd »

My dog is incontinent too. I understand the challenges. The diapers are truly a lifesaver. The store kind are so expensive, though. About $1 each. That adds up quick. I make my own disposable diapers out of puppy pads and they are cheap and easy. Email me if you want the instructions on how to make them. keebleredwards@yahoo.com Amy
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I have an incontinet dog...he rarely leaks....but I keep him expressed. I would suggest if you want to start expressing that you and your kitty make a trip to the vet, and allow them to show you how to do it.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
ljulian

Post by ljulian »

Thank you giving me so much help. Amyd, I would love the instructions for the diaper making. I will email you for the instructions. I went out and purchase urine off from the vet as well as ordered some online. I tore up the carpet, treated it with the urine off 3 times and then painted the walls with kilz. So far so good, no smell and that was the worse room. The carpet will not be put in for another 5 weeks (waiting list at homedepot). Now on to tackle the less offense room. I'm hoping that I can eliminate the stain and smell without having to remove the carpet. Thanks again and I'm so glad I found this forum.
BethT

Post by BethT »

The best product I have ever used for cat urine is something called "anti-icky-poo"

http://www.mistermax.com/

It is very expensive but has saved a chair and a mattress back when I had a cat that I had a problem with. It is one of those enzyme products that Carol was talking about. I first discovered it at my vet. The cheapest I have found it is at the catdoctorstore.com. They also sell big syringes that you can use to inject the solution into a rug and padding. Good luck.
Beth