Leather braces for akita with wrist problems

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Leather braces for akita with wrist problems

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

bjeepin2

akita with wrists problems

Post by bjeepin2 »

my akita is about 100lbs and jumped off my porch about 30 feet down and hyperedextened his frount legs. no bones were broke but this was about 6 months ago. we maid some splents for him but gave him sores on his legs so we made a brace out of some thick leather and he does ok with it, but looking for something a little eazer to put on each morning. looked at Kalin’s on the other page but that is a lot of money i dont have.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... GTlo5bsXcQ
Last edited by bjeepin2 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'll check your link in a minute, but look at http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/ .
:gang:

edit: I got an error message. Status 500 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Critters, your link is working now. :)

There is a list of braces in this message. I don't know how much they cost. Maybe they will give you ideas on adjusting the ones you already made. If the ones you made basically work, it sounds like it would be worth fine-tuning them a bit to make them easier to get on and off. Have you tried putting baby socks on his feet so they don't rub?

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... hp?t=10483
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Actually, it was bjeepin's link that didn't work, but it does now. :D
bjeepin2

Post by bjeepin2 »

Mrsha13

hyper extension of the carpus

Post by Mrsha13 »

Hi - I have had the same problem with my 11 year old collie - he was dropped from the groomer's table and hyper extended his carpus - I have used a brace that was custom fitted - it has velcro on it that makes the straps adhere to each other - I got mine at orthovets but you need a vet to do the mold - it has worked but now his other leg went as a result of jumping off the deck - my physical therapist used a laser that healed the sore and I have spent a fortune in self stick wrap tape t prevent the brace from rubbing. Your boy is adorable and you - so very clever but I think that velcro is the way to go- good luck mrsha13
bjeepin2

Post by bjeepin2 »

yea we went to the local shoe repair shop and has a set made for him but yes need to do something with the velcro is the way to go. the two we got from the shoe repair shop cost us just over 40.00 for the pair and we just use a thick pair of shocks under them