Pet Stair Lifts...

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Christine

Re: Pet Stair Lifts...

Post by Christine »

This morning, I received an email from a friend who carries her 14.5 year old dog up and down the stairs every day and I began to think about our never ending quest for that doggie stairlift. I did some research and found a few more ideas that are not quite there yet, but maybe they will actually trigger the final product. I am trying to make contact with the insurance company who made this one. Having trouble completing their registration because of my US postal code. Just trying to get them to email me so I can get an email address from them. Have to give up this morning, but will try again later. Perhaps someone else in their area can get me some contact info??

World’s first stairlift for dogs (but where are the safety features????)
It was made by UK insurance company More Th>n (that’s not a typo, that’s a “greater than” sign instead of the ‘a’), seemingly as a statement about the rising pet health epidemic. It’s estimated that by 2022, more than 50% of the dogs in the UK will be overweight.

http://icantbelieveitblog.blogspot.com/ ... -dogs.html

Owner added a feature to a human chairlift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Br6W4HwG0
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Clever. I think for a smaller dog, a regular stair lift with a crate or basket fastened to the chair would be fine. Big dogs, maybe a wheelchair stair lift with a big crate attached.

Maybe there will be enough demand eventually for a commercial one- people are spending more and more on their dogs. Dual duty- human and dog would be best, though.

http://www.ameriglide.com/item/AmeriGli ... ef=navside
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

You didn't really think I would give up, did you???? Look what I found tonight! Of course, it took a caring pet owner who happens to be very thoughtful and talented to come up with the solution. I commented on his video and invited him to come and visit us. I hope he sees it just so everyone can thank him for sharing the information.

(Maybe CarolC will embed the videos for me.)

?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bubbasmommy

Post by Bubbasmommy »

Hello all!

Christine Hubal found our video on YouTube and contacted me to come visit your blog. We have a 10 year old English Bulldog Bubba, and as he is getting older he is losing mobility in his hips and hind legs and having difficulty going up and down the stairs to go out. My hubby built him a handicap lift to take him up/down the stairs. We all LOVE it, including BUBBA!!! What a HUGE SUCCESS! Please check out the 3 videos that we made for our Bubba's Boom Boom Bus, including a longer instructional video that walks you through the entire process. Our completed project was under $300!!! Please feel free to share and let us know if you have any questions.

The Making of Bubba's Boom Boom Bus

Bubba Boom Boom Bus

Bubba Boom Boom Bus #2
Bubba's Mommy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hello...and thank you so much for coming! :clap: :snoopy: If you read through our thread, you can imagine what an answered prayer you and your husband are.
I loved watching Bubba riding up and down in his "bus" - he looks so cool. How did he react the first time you introduced him to it? How long did it take him to be comfortable with it?

I have a friend who is renting and really needs something like this. It looks as though the only "damage" would be a small hole in the wall that could be patched and two anchoring points at the top and bottom. Any thoughts on this?

:welcomeheart:

P.S. I used to live in St. Petersburg and then Brooksville years ago.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Finally, someone has done it! :trophy: :applaud: :smart:

I'm glad the instructional video goes over all the issues you wouldn't think of when you're starting out, such as uneven walls, running into the door frame, length of the cord on the control. Your husband has really elegant solutions to all kinds of problems people might run into.

Is there any footage showing the winch inside the garage?

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Finally there is something to SHOW people when they come looking for just such a thing!

:thankyou:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I think if you didn't have the door at the bottom of the steps you could put the ramp there permanently, and hide the motor inside it. No need for much of a hole that way. Very clever design!
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Bubbasmommy

Post by Bubbasmommy »

Hello all! Thank you all for your replies on the videos posted of Bubba's Boom Boom Bus. Here are the answers to your questions....

CHRISTINNE:
How did he react the first time you introduced him to it?
We were worried at first, but he didn't hesitate getting into it one sec, and he LOVES it! We try to get him to do the stairs at least once a day so that his muscles stay active. It's funny because he always waits for the bus and HATES doing the stairs anymore! :D :lol: :lol:

How long did it take him to be comfortable with it?
About 2 seconds!!! :lol: :lol:

I have a friend who is renting and really needs something like this. It looks as though the only "damage" would be a small hole in the wall that could be patched and two anchoring points at the top and bottom. Any thoughts on this?
We rent too, and yes, that is the only "damage". But every senario (apartment/house) is set up differently.

CAROLC:
Is there any footage showing the winch inside the garage?
There are 2 instructional videos; the original video posted August 2013, repeated the ramp section and omitted the bus section. The edited version at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cGvVbMzADA includes "How to" instructions for 3 sections; the ramp, the bus, and the winch, or so I thought until I just looked! I have to go back and add that section....stay tuned! :roll: :roll: :roll:

BOBBIE:
I think if you didn't have the door at the bottom of the steps you could put the ramp there permanently, and hide the motor inside it.
There are so many variations that can be made all depending on the senario of the home set up, that would be a great alternative! :idea:
Bubba's Mommy
judip

Post by judip »

I have been searching for answers. We have 2 mastiffs. One is going lame, but will not stay downstairs alone. My husband has Alzheimer’s. I need answers and help. Our steps are narrow and steep, but I think that a modified stair lift would do it.
If a folding platform was attached to the side of the chair, it would work. My dog is 210lbs. I am 120#. Does anyone have plans for an Acorn type chair lift with an attached platform?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:welcomepink:

Hi Judi,

You have your hands full, but you don't need me to tell you that... I do not believe I have seen any modification plans like you describe here. Perhaps someone else will answer. I am assuming you already have the Acorn lift installed, using it for your husband, so you just want to modify it? You are a step ahead of most of us if you at least have a lift installed for your home medical needs (they are expensive). However, if you do not already have one installed, then you might look at wheelchair lifts, they would consist of a platform.

If you cannot find plans and decide to attempt modifying an Acorn lift yourself, I might suggest calling Acorn first and explaining what you have in mind. I'm not an engineer, but it may be important to have the weight, especially a heavy weight, centered over the track, instead of cantilevered out to the side? I do not know how having a large weight off the side would affect the chair itself where it is attached to the track, or how it would affect the track where it is attached to your stairway. You probably want to be sure it's not going to damage the chair which you need for your husband. Wouldn't that be great if it would work, though?

I hope you can find a way to solve this question. To be honest, it has been a persistent and ongoing need here, both for big dogs, and for older owners, and for those of us in both situations. I might suggest a backup plan, which is to fence off the bottom of the steps (in some way that does not hamper the operation of the chairlift). People (including myself in this situation) have reported their dog barking at night when left downstairs, however at least in my case, my dog did eventually stop, though it was very frustratring (for both of us, no doubt) during the first couple of weeks when he barked a lot. It made it hard to sleep...but he did finally adjust to the "new normal".

I am sorry you are in a situation where you have to care for both a husband and a large dog (just as I am sorry for people with a newborn when their dog goes down). I have had to be honest after going through this myself with a dog I could not lift: remember that if you can't do it, however much you want to, that is not your fault.

I assume you have tried all the medications for hip and knee problems, etc.? Some people hesitate to use them, but in a difficult situation with a large dog going down, all I can say is, I got another 6 months of mobility for my old dog with anti-inflammatory medication. I still feel it was worth it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ktaxon-Baby- ... /245998283

I'm sorry you are asking a very clear and precise question, and this post has said everything except the information you are really needing. I hope you will find the plans you need.

:angel:
FYI

Outer Banks Stair Lifts

Post by FYI »

FYI

Post by FYI »

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I don't have any answers, but hats off to you! I do home care, both humans and critters, and I can well imagine what you're up against. I know somebody who's creative and who knows critter disabilities; let me see if I can get y'all hooked up. I'll message him through Facebook, but it'll be at least several days before I get to an internet connection again. I don't know if he'll be willing to post here or not.

:slant:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OK, messaged him.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

His opinion:

It seems like you have to use a stairlift dedicated to the dog, not try to add onto an existing human life. I like those dog lifts others had posted links to.