PVC 4-wheel cart for CH kitty

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

PVC 4-wheel cart for CH kitty

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Trying to find wheels for Ishkur, CH kitty

Post by BendyMom »

Ishkur is the newest resident here at the Bendy House, she has severe CH and cannot stand on her own.
I tried a regular 2 wheel cart for hind end trouble but she is so twitchy she keeps spasming out of the straps. A little time on Google and I found a sling design on a four wheel cart that looks simple enough, but I don't have time to make a cart. I'd really like to find one already made, or even just the frame and wheels and I could make the sling for her.

this is what I was looking at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NxYnO7Qt0

simple enough if you have the time and inclination. for me that's a big if.
can anyone help?
please?
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
CarolC

Re: Trying to find wheels for Ishkur, CH kitty

Post by CarolC »

Yes, Ishkur's Marvelous No-Glue 4-Wheel Frame for a cerebellar hypoplasia cat is about to take shape. Got the parts, mostly. Watch this space!

EDIT TO ADD:

I see the inventor did a video on how to make it. It gives measurements!

https://lifewithchcats.com/2012/02/06/h ... er-for-20/

They didn't have caster inserts at the store but they have them on eBay. Inserts estimated delivery Jan 9, wheels Jan 14.

:ebay:

If the frame is shipped completely assembled, can you still get a sling on it?

I got the PVC pieces cut, now we wait.

Need a box.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here are pictures of it so far, just waiting for wheels. It's the exact measurements he says on the video.

As you can see, the PVC has red printing and black bar codes and I tried to wipe them off with alcohol but they didn't come off.
Ishkur_cart1.PNG
If the elbows and tees look different, they are Lasco push fittings. All you do is push the end of the pipe into the hole as far as it will go, and it locks, and no amount of twisting or pulling releases it. The middle is clear so you can see if it is all the way in. If you want to get it back apart for some reason, you have to use a "Push-On Removal Tool" which they sell for $3.48. I've never even heard of push fittings until today, but I would think it should work for a 10 lb cat even if her CH puts it to a stress test. I tried three times to get one apart and I couldn't. If they were going to come apart I wanted to find out now before I mailed it so I could use the other kind, but as far as I can tell, when they're locked they're locked.

The easiest way to send it is to not fully assemble it, not insert the long side bars. I could ship it flat like in this picture (with wheels, of course) in a much smaller box than if it was assembled. Then you can push those 2 side bars in to assemble it.
Ishkur_cart2.PNG
It turned out the only tool needed to make it was a saw. No drill, screws, screwdriver, or glue. Even people who are not handy could do it, provided they can get these fittings. I got them at Lowe's. They were really cheap.
Lasco_push_to_connect_fittings.PNG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:smart: If you wanted, you could paint the pieces with PVC paint to cover the writing. That's what I did with Baby's cart.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I didn't know there was such a thing as PVC paint. :smart: I'll have to look it up!
How did your paint job stand up to daily wear? I could also look up if there's a way to remove it. I have Goof Off in the garage I didn't try. I think the Lasco joints are so cool with their clear centers, I wouldn't want to paint those! :lol:

EDIT TO ADD: Goof Off is working, need to get some more.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I was at Home Depot this morning and checked to see if they have any push fittings. They did, but not the 1/2" diameter, theirs started at 3/4", which is too big. Their brand is Orbit PVC-lock and the price on the 3/4" elbow was $1.68 (or something like that) and the tee was 2.48. The Lasco fittings from Lowes were $1.38 and $2.08 and Lasco has the clear center so you know if you have it pushed in all the way. Orbit was all white.

I'm attaching this video from Orbit because it shows how to release a locked-on fitting with a release tool, which is similar to Lasco's. The second video shows Lasco fittings but does not show releasing. The video talks about de-burring the pipe, and that is the most time consuming part of the job, smoothing the rough spots off the ends.

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I just realized something. The walker in the video you posted has a crossbar in front of his face. The website of the owner has a video of how to make the wheelchair, and in that video, the wheelchair has the bar higher so it is not in front of his face, which is better. That is the kind I made because I was following the instructions and did not realize the model in the how-to video differed from the video with the cat in the cart, but in a good way. I think the owner of the cat must have improved the design. It is the same model shown on the Best Friends website, here.

https://bestfriends.org/resources/faqs- ... -and-carts (1 pic)

https://bestfriends.org/stories-blog-vi ... reedom-run (3 pics)

CH_cat_Duke_Best_Friends.jpg
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

THANK MEW SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Yes I can make the sling, no problem there.
been futzing with teh wheechair i have here, added a sling made from a sock which helped a little but it still isn't right.

finding the time and patience to make a cart when i have 20+ cats helping is tricky, you see the problem.

thank mew again!!!
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow, that's a houseful! I have enough to do with 6 pets. :lol:

When I read the original post I thought, "Well that cart looks like a good idea so let me see if I can try." This was after I had seen the video you posted, but before I saw the second one he did. But I was dragging my feet all the way to Lowes thinking, "I don't want to have to glue anything, I don't want to have to glue anything." I even thought, "I wonder if I could maybe just cut all the pieces and ask if someone else on the board would volunteer to glue them if I would ship them there?" When I saw the push connectors, it was such a huge relief. Woohoo!

I'm posting a picture of the casters and caster inserts. With the caster inserts, you just tap them into the hole in the end of your PVC pipe. Then you push the stem of the caster into it. You're supposed to be able to remove the caster as well, just pull it back out, but I haven't tried it yet because they haven't arrived. On the caster insert package it says the diameter and length of the stem that will fit the insert. In this case, the size is 5/16" diameter and 1 1/2" long, so I made sure to get casters with the right size stem. Also the PVC is 1/2" so that is the size of insert to fit in the hole. [EDIT: TOO SMALL, SEE BELOW] Some casters have smooth stems and some have threaded stems like a screw, these inserts are for smooth stem.
caster.PNG
caster_insert_1.PNG
caster_insert_2.PNG
I got more Goof Off last night, if it warms up this afternoon I will see if I can get the writing cleaned off the pipe, the sun's out.

EDIT TO ADD: 4 PM Writing's cleaned off, er, 99%... :pardon: The trick on removing the writing with Goof Off is to do only about 2 or 3 inches at a time, wet it well and wipe immediately. If you try to do more, what happens is it smears, and somehow the pink smear adheres to the PVC even harder than the original printing. I'm guessing the Goof Off does something to the outer layer of the plastic and roughens it a little, giving it more tooth to hold any remaining paint. If you don't get it all off on the first wipe, you have a harder job to get the remainder off. I also tried #000 steel wool, bathroom cleanser, and sandpaper, Goof Off was best. I didn't have any nail polish remover or I would have tried it. It would be much easier to get the writing off before you cut and assemble it, so you are not trying to clean around the joints.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote:I didn't know there was such a thing as PVC paint. :smart: I'll have to look it up!
How did your paint job stand up to daily wear? I guess I could also look up if there's a way to remove it. I have Goof Off in the garage I didn't try. I think the Lasco joints are so cool with their clear centers, I wouldn't want to paint those! :lol:

EDIT TO ADD: Goof Off is working, need to get some more.
You could paint the pieces individually, but, yes, what I used was a spray paint, so messy. I got it from Lowe's, I think.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote:OK, I just realized something. The walker in the video you posted has a crossbar in front of his face. The website of the owner has a video of how to make the wheelchair, and in that video, the wheelchair has the bar higher so it is not in front of his face, which is better. That is the kind I made because I was following the instructions and did not realize the model in the how-to video differed slightly from the video with the cat in the cart, but in a good way. I think the owner of the cat must have improved the design. It appears to be the same model shown on the Best Friends website, here.

https://bestfriends.org/resources/faqs- ... -and-carts (1 pic)

https://bestfriends.org/stories-blog-vi ... reedom-run (3 pics)
Yes, I always wished I'd raised the front bar on Baby's, just like you say. She wasn't in it much, but I didn't like the bar down low.

PS--The paint holds up pretty well, I'd say. That's why Baby's was blazing yellow instead of white. :mrgreen: The paint knocks off a little eventually, but it's supposed to stick to PVC better than most. I didn't even sand the pieces first, which probably would've helped adhesion.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I like the yellow, it looks nice. :D I just went back and read your instructions on the wiki again and it says right there about the PVC paint, somehow that didn't sink in when I read it before. It all comes into focus more when you're actually trying to do it. I was looking at the way you did the front wheels at an angle for stability, that must have been tricky. I had been planning to attach the wheels as you showed in the close-up picture in the wiki article where you fed it through the cap. Then I discovered the inventor's video about 'caster inserts' and decided to go that route instead, so I ordered inserts. Helps to know what to call things.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Lesson learned.
The PVC pipe is definitely 1/2", it is printed right on it in red letters and says so on the Lowes receipt.
The Lasco fittings are also definitely 1/2" fittings, it says so on the receipt.
inserts_back.JPG
My caster inserts arrived, they say 1/2" on the package, and they are way too small. You put one in the pipe and it slides around and falls right through.

I checked it carefully and do not see any indication it is designed to spread when you push the caster stem inside (like a wall anchor or something).

Watched the video again where he installs the inserts. At 6:16 he puts them inside the small piece of PVC and then puts that inside the bottom tee fitting and says, "You're going to push down firmly". On mine, the insert goes inside the piece of PVC and rattles around with room to spare and slides through and comes out the other end. Nice. Can't get a good pic but you can sort of see it down inside hiding.
insert_too_small.JPG
On the back of the caster insert pack it shows that the inside diameter of the tubing you plan to put it in should be 1/2". I got out the tape measure and measured the inside diameter of my 1/2" PVC pipe and it looks like 5/8". Put the tape away. Got the tape out and measured again. Still 5/8". Read the printing on the PVC again. Still 1/2".
:thinking:

I just ordered another package in the 5/8" size. There is a chance they will be too small, too, because the inserts should be a tight fit, you should have to tap them or push them. They do have 3/4" ones on eBay as well, so one way or another we'll get some to fit. Fortunately, they are not expensive.

Here is what the package looks like (wrong size).
inserts_front.PNG
CharlottePipe.PNG
inserts_top.PNG
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

i'm glad you're working through all the details, that kind of thing right now would drive me insane. while the cats aren't stressing me out overmuch, I'm job hunting and that is eating my brain alive. I can't focus or think much about anything it seems.
so thank u thank u thank u a million times.
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"