My Quilt Project

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

My Quilt Project

Post by Bobbie »

88022_c87edc34.jpg
Closeups of the squares:

88022__d2c2caeb.jpg
88022__f46939e5.jpg
88022__dfcc5276.jpg
88022__813de0fe.jpg
Fabric is from ]Rusticcorgi's designs on Spoonflower
http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/rus ... ew_profile
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Re: My Quilt Project

Post by Christine »

That is just wonderful! Is that some of the Spoonflower fabric? I tried quilting one time in my life. The Cherokee reservation near my home offered home sewers all the pre-cut pieces and instructions to make quilts for them and they would pay a nominal fee to you and then sell them in their stores. Long story, short....I bought my own quilt and paid someone to put the backing and the border on it. I have the utmost respect for quilters!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I am not much of a quilter but I have tons of family who are so I just asked for advice as needed. Yes, the fabric with the corgis is spoonflower, the rest is just stuff Mom had. (She is a fabric hoarder like most quilters.) The hard part on this was that I started with irregular sized pictures and had to do a lot of piecing. And also designing it. But it came together.

Spoonflower is a great source of fabric; my next project may be a periodic table quilt as I saw some great fabric for that.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Beautiful!! :smart:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Bobbie, that is so cool! I didn't even know such fabric existed, and it's neat the way you got the photos onto it. That's a treasure to keep!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Carol, you should check out www.spoonflower.com You can design your own fabric and I think the cost of the produced piece is around $16 a yard. A lot for fabric, but for a special project, this is so cool. I learned about this from Bobbie.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

We had a designer do this, so it cost $18 a yard, but well-worth it. She doesn't make much for her work but she has a lot of cute corgi and other dog fabrics. I made some really cute belly bands with some of the leftover border strips. The fabric has washed well, no bleeding, and looks really good. I used less than half a yard of each fabric but I think if you designed your own and wanted two colors you could just design the piece that way- make half one way, half the other.

And if you have priced fabric lately, man, it has gone up! Some regular fabrics (cotton quilt weight) are up to about $14 a yard. Insane! There are still cheap fabric available but not like they used to be.
Bobbie Mayer
Christine

Post by Christine »

You can say that again...I have been all over the internet looking for a barn red/brick red plaid - homespun for a customer. I have literally spent hours - availability is low and prices are through the roof.
?/1999 - 10/25/08