Another ramp I built for stairs

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Another ramp I built for stairs

Post by Bobbie »

At my winter home we have two steps to the backyard.
Stairstcover.jpg
Candy can actually roll down these and go up with me lifting the rear of the cart, but I wanted a ramp to make it easier for both of us. This ramp is 8 feet long. The frame is 2x6 and 2x4's, with the 2x6 notched to provide an edge. All 2x4s with a separate edge would have worked, too.
frame2.jpg
The frame is covered with a painted and sanded plywood board, and cement garden edging is used at the base as a guide to get Candy in at the right angle.
rampPrinceton.jpg
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
SandyNY

Re: Another ramp I built for stairs

Post by SandyNY »

wow! that is really nice. Thanks for sharing! we need to save in DIY files!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Nice! The garden edging is a good idea. Funny how the able-bodied one likes the ramp, too! :D
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

critters wrote:Nice! The garden edging is a good idea. Funny how the able-bodied one likes the ramp, too! :D
Usually all my dogs will use a ramp if we have one. They will use the stairs, but prefer the ramps, especially on the way down.

The garden edging worked best on the first try... since then he keeps trying to cut the corner too close. I may need something that doesn't hang up the wheel (smoother) for when he does that.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels