Engine hoist for a heavy dog

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
CarolC

Re: Engine hoist for a heavy dog

Post by CarolC »

I just found something I've never seen before. It is a hoist with a load leveler. The load leveler looks like it might work in place of making a trapeze. You would just need to attach some hooks to it. This saves half the work of making the hoist. Also the whole package of hoist + leveler is very affordable, $244.99 in this ad. Here is a picture of the hoist with the leveler, and below it I'll put a picture of a hoist with a trapeze (DIY) for comparison.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200640934

Strongway Hydraulic Engine Hoist with Load Leveler
Strongway Hydraulic Engine Hoist with Load Leveler
Hoist with DIY trapeze
Hoist with DIY trapeze
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I expect they'd be equivalent, and the commercial one would be ready-made. :smart:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm thinking you might get more stability with the trapeze, but you could probably jury rig the leveler so it isn't able to tip on either end. You absolutely want the dog to stay level while lifting. If he doesn't, it would be uncomfortable, and you might also risk his harness shifting, depending on what kind of harness it is and whether it is loose or snug. It's one thing to lift an inanimate object like an engine, and another to lift a dog that might move around. Attaching a copy of the picture with blue lines to show where you might want to stabilize it. But that would be easy to do. You could use rope (that won't stretch), chain, a coat hanger, it doesn't have to be fancy.

hoist_with_leveler2.jpg