Homemade duck harness + duck wheelchair

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Homemade duck harness + duck wheelchair

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

featherfarmer

I need a duck wheelchair!

Post by featherfarmer »

I've seen many people ask about wheelchairs for ducks and I have created one! If anyone is interested I can show you pictures of the one I made using PVC pipe and the joint attachments to customize it to fit my Crested Duck with neurological problems. Still working on a better harness to keep her in it as she likes to jump over the front of it when she gets excited. But if she's just following her Cayuga buddy around the room she does really well in it so far. I also created a hanging sling for her to walk back in forth off of a hanging pipe so she can get some exercise outside. As long as she's with her buddy she stays calm and content. So my first suggestion to anyone with a disabled duck is to get them a friend to cuddle with and give them company! Definitely makes a difference! :D
critters
Founding Member

Re: I need a duck wheelchair!

Post by critters »

:whale: featherfarmer! Could you post a pic?
featherfarmer

Post by featherfarmer »

Well I got some pictures finally downloaded onto computer! (Out here the cell service is horrible. Takes days for pictures to show up in my emails so that I can download them.) Now how do I add them to my messages here??? Not sure how to add them. I thought clicking on the box with IMG would do something but all I get is the word "IMG" showing up.

I also took pictures of her in her harness which is attached to 2 dog leashes which hang from a pulley on a cable across the yard from fence to fence. This gives her the freedom to run across the yard. WEEBLES really doesn't walk much. She prefers to run. But when she stops she topples over. Now if her Cayuga buddy (WOBBLEZNOT) is with her she'll try to walk next to him when she's in her walker. I came up with a really easy way to make a harness.....and the hanging leashes.....

#1 Put a small cat collar around her neck
#2 Put a collar one size bigger around her butt (just behind her legs)
#3 I attached 2 elastic straps (I used the waist band from some old pj bottoms) Take one strap and attach to neck collar w/leash loop exposed and then attach it to the collar on her butt so it runs down her back. Make sure the leash loop is on top of her butt/back. Do the same w/the 2nd strap starting at neck...then mark off how long you need it down her belly between her legs to the butt strap. Its real easy to sew the straps to the dog collars.
#4 Once you have the harness made you can attach 2 skinny dog leashes to the 2 loops at neck and butt. This gives her more stability.
#5 I added a 6" PCV pipe between the 2 leashes about 6" above her back and then tied the 2 leashes together about 6" higher (about 1 foot above her back) so the leashes can now be hung from a pulley on a cable. The pcv pipe keeps the leashes from getting twisted up next to her body.

She spends the day outside on her cable running back and forth and using the pool with no problem. She just follows Wobbleznot where ever he goes. I made it long enough that she can almost lay down in the middle of the yard. But this way if she does fall over she never lands on her side and she can get right back up. At night they sleep in the house. Weebles can never be left outside with the other ducks. Without her leash and cable she'd flip on her back and the other ducks would pick on her. It's hard for her to flip back onto her feet but she does at times, but sometimes she needs help. If I separate Weebles from Wobbleznot they both start quacking and squawking up a storm. So I decided to keep them together. They are now a bonded pair. For now I can deal with the daily cleanup of their bins they sleep in at night because they go out every day. But Lord help me this winter when they are inside 24/7. Just can't put them through the temp changes from the house to the snow every day. That would make them sick. Some people say I'm crazy. But I love my animals. I'll do what it takes to make them comfortable and healthy. Just need to create new harnesses for both of them with detachable diapers. OH BOY! Sounds like fun!
And Weebles is the most adorable little Crested duck. When I give her baths she just snuggles up inside her towel afterwards. And once she's dried she likes to play. She gives kisses and plays with my hair. Or she'll hide her head in the crook of my arm or on my shoulder and take a nap. She loves to be petted, especially her head, face and neck. No other duck here has been as friendly. Not even Wobbleznot. He'll tolerate sitting on my lap and have his back petted while we watch tv. But he's not a lovey duck like Weebles. She's a jem!
Last edited by featherfarmer on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
featherfarmer

Post by featherfarmer »

I've tried every thing to get pictures on here. And I have also noticed that under all sorts of posts on HandicappedPets.com nobody has any pictures....at least I haven't found any yet. I really do want to help anyone who wants to get ideas for their poor duckies so if it is except-able on this site I will give you my information so that you can contact me directly.
Here are your options....

#1 Call me at 313-377-2850 I can send pics from my cell to your cell phone but it may be slow!

#2 Send an email to bethrayfieldstewart@gmail.com. I can attach pictures there with no problems!

#3 Go on Facebook and search for Beth Rayfield-Stewart I have pictures on there that I posted last night and on an earlier date!

I hope this helps!!!!!! Beth
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I share your picture pain! :mrgreen: I have to resize mine of the Pet Expo to post them, and I don't know what to resize them to. After I do all my work I'll sit down and mess with it...
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--After I sort mine out I'll see if I can pick yours up, resize, and post them here. No guarantees, but it shouldn't be a problem once I figure out what size they need to be. And yes--Facebook is VERY tolerant of pic size!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OK. I can see your pics, and I hope this will be one of them...
Attachments
duck ltl.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

More...
Attachments
duck1.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Neat rig!
Attachments
duck cart.jpg
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

that is really clever! i love it.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

These are beyond brilliant! :smart: :trophy: Thank you so much for posting them!!!
:thankyou:
featherfarmer

Post by featherfarmer »

YEAH CRITTERS! you got my pictures on here. :thankyou: I really hope they help someone out there who has a disabled duck who needs ideas to give their duckie the freedom to run around on their own. Weebles loves her hanging cable and harness. Gives her lots of room to run threw the grass. I just move the cable down the fence line once a week to give her fresh grass and that the bare spots by the fence rest. She tends to hang out at the fence to talk to my Call ducks in the next run with her buddy Wobbleznot!

The walker is for the evenings inside! That was made with pvc piping that I cut up and lots of joints. The bendable accordion piping was found here in the barn when I was looking for an old hose to cut up for that purpose. So a hose will work too. Just wanted something a little more flexible for her chest.

I will be playing with more ideas for strapping her into the walker. Her harness was made with 2 dog collars so she has 2 loops on her back. For now I've just used a long shoelace to tie her in by running it threw the loops and wrapping around the bars on the sides. It works but I want to do something that will cradle her tummy so she can rest on it like a hanging hammock. just an idea for now.

Good Luck everybody! :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You have GREAT ideas! :smart: I hope you'll keep posting what you try so that others get some ideas to work from, too; ducks on wheels come up more than people might think, but it's not as common as other species. Plus, what you do might be adaptable for other birds.
featherfarmer

Post by featherfarmer »

I have so much to do to get ready for winter that I haven't created anything else! But I did find out what Weebles likes! I have 5 dogs so there are crates and beds thrown around the front room. In the evenings (or if I just stay inside for the day) I give Weebles a swim in the tub, dry her off and set her on the floor. If she takes baby steps she's ok. But once she spots the dog bed in the corner she tries to make a mad dash for it. She'll stay there for hours. With the padded sides she feels safe. If she topples over... the sides help her to right herself. And she doesn't have many accidents in there either.(I line that dog bed with towels for her). Every 2 hours or so I place her in her bin and she eats, drinks and poops, A LOT! Once she's standing in the corner of her bin with her head hanging over the side (on a pillow I wrapped around the corner edges) I know she's ready to come out again. She'll chase the dogs and cats away from HER bed and settle down to watch over her domain! It's pretty cool actually. I'll post more pics to facebook if you want to share here Critters! Haven't been able to get them here yet!