Make a butt bath out of a mop bucket

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Make a butt bath out of a mop bucket

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

Source Urine burn.
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

I'm a new handicapped pet parent. We recently adopted Shelby (see her pic's under the 'rescue' forum) on the 7th of March. This is the first pet with this type handicap I have cared for. I was wondering if anyone had tried Desitin and how that worked, or does it contain zinc? Shelby has gotten a little red a time or two since she's been here, but not bad. She's had a UTI, but is on antibiotics and is improving. She still has some accidents and gets urine on her. I'm not sure if it's the UTI, or if I'm not getting her emptied out enough when I express her bladder. Since she weighs 50 lbs, she's a bit heavy for me to lift and I'm worried I'm not doing a good enough job. How can I tell? Her accidents are becoming less frequent, however, so would that mean mommy is improving on the expressing, or the UTI is getting better?? Also, I wondered how is a good way to keep her cleanest when she keeps having accidents. In addition to her regular baths, I have been bathing her back half each morning and night. I purchased a rectangular shaped mop bucket, which is just the right height for her back legs. It also tapers down on one end, to pour out the water. After getting her water ready in the bucket, I stand her with her back legs in the water, and her stomach goes where the tapered down side is. This is a perfect fit, and I can completely bath her back half with one hand, and steady her with the other. Whenever she has any accidents through out the day, I clean her with baby wipes. Is this sufficient enough? Or is there an easier way I hadn't thought of? I worry she'll get urine burn. I am very new at this, and any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
Shelby 007.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:pastel: Azbillridge! I'd be interested to see a pic of your bathtub bucket-- what a unique and creative idea!!

As for the cause of fewer accidents, it could be either, and I guess time will have to tell. I, too, use butt wipes on Ari for smaller messes, like I did with Buddy. Sometimes nothing'll fix it but a bath, though! :hysterical:
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Shelby in her bath bucket!
Attachments
Shelby 003.jpg
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Well, I did hope that picture would be smaller, but I can't figure out how to shrink pics either. This type of bucket can be found at most any hardware store, or possibly Walmart?? It came with a basket on top to wring out the mop with, and I just removed that. I fold a small towel over the side for padding under her stomach, and it works great!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Cool! :thankyou: It IS a great fit!! I don't know that I'd have thought of that! :lol:
azbillridge

Urine Burn

Post by azbillridge »

Thanks!