Wheelchair and lift for an Alpaca

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

nugony

Post by nugony »

I recently had an alpaca injure both of her rear knees. She had surgery and I needed a way to sling her at home and exercise her by myself. I've attached a picture that shows both the sling and the walker that my neighbors helped me build.
Attachments
Nadia in walker3.jpg
CarolC

Re: Wheelchair and lift for an Alpaca

Post by CarolC »

That is incredible. What is the trick to levering her up onto her feet? It looks like the slanted part moves up or down. Could you please explain the lifting mechanism, there is such a need for this!

:hotpink:
nugony

Re: Wheelchair and lift for an Alpaca

Post by nugony »

Currently, I just swap her sling from a pulley that is attached to a beam in the barn. However, When we took her out in the walker today we realized I'd need the ability to lower and lift her. My goal is to take her outside on sunny days and let her lay in the sun (a favorite activity for alpacas). So, I'll be adding a wench or something to allow me to have more power on the beam that goes up and down. When I make that modification I'll post an update.