Mobile bed for 100 lb quadriplegic Bullmastiff

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
karkorny

Bully is coming home today!

Post by karkorny »

This has been the longest three weeks of my life. First Bully, my 8-year-old Bullmastiff, was afflicted with FCE which within 24 hours had him paralyzed in all fours. Ended up in a wonderful rehab hospital but had to have emergency surgery on what turned out to be a perforated ulcer. Stress from his situation?? We don't know. Anyway, after being shuttled from emergency hospital to hospital, he's coming home today. I've been obsessed with preparing for him. I bought a cart from Northern Tools, 24X40, on which I've put a baby changing table mattress and it will be his mobile bed. I had someone build a ramp on my back steps to the yard, so he can go outside and enjoy the fresh air. I put my mattress in my room on the floor, so we'll be eye level at night. I may have to learn to catheterize him - terrifying - but the doctor yesterday said he was peeing on his own with a little stimulation. We'll see. A tech who works at my local vet's office has agreed to help me with whatever I need in her off hours, which is a great comfort. This is all so new. But everything I lack in PT skills and nursing abilities, I'll make up for in love and attention. Can't wait to see my boy!
karkorny

Bully - 4 weeks post-FCE

Post by karkorny »

Bully is doing great! His quad cart arrived today and it was wonderful seeing him upright. Also, a friend of mine made me a cart for moving him from room to room and to the yard. (Remember the challenge I have is that my 83-year-old mother and I live together -- and Bully weighs 100 pound!) The cart is terrific. It's similar to what's called a "creeper" that mechanics use to slide in and out under cars. The front wheels turn 360 degrees, the back are stable, and the whole thing sits about 3 inches off the ground. So I can "drag" Bully onto the cart myself. Lifting him in a stretcher all last week was killing us. Bully has become much more mobile. He can drag himself around in the yard, which he does every time he has to go potty. He still can't accept that he's pooping laying down! Anyway, when I think of the gloomy outlook I had four weeks ago, and I see the possibilities in the future now, what a difference. I'm certain my dog will walk again. And I can't wait for that day!!
karkorny

Anyone with an FCE?

Post by karkorny »

Susan, with the kind help of Carol, I've retrieved a picture I had of Bully on the cart made for me by a friend. Doesn't he look so vulnerable?? Broke my heart. But we toughed it out -- and so can you! Hope this link works. Karen
08-Bully's Transport.jpg