Padded bra for pressure sore on dog's hip

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Padded bra for pressure sore on dog's hip

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

oldcargirl

Re: Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Post by oldcargirl »

Hi,
I have a 14 year old male Belgian Malinois who is recovering from a small stroke and has arthritis in his hips. After his stroke, we helped him get around with a belly lift and he was able to rise and walk on his own within a couple of weeks. We relocated his doghouse and he's been able (and happier) to stay home with his other pals.
Last night I noticed a pressure sore right on the hip, up high near the base of his tail. This is the preferred side to lay on plus I'd be sure he's making it raw as he skids a tad to get up, whether outside, on a carpet or the floor if he's putting pressure on that spot this is certain to continue.
He has a tempurpedic bed to sleep in, another similar in our living room and a plush sheepskin rug that he just loves. But, we can't leave these things outdoors. He still enjoys his doghouse which has a pad and his fav spot oputside is on cement, YIKES! I am putting out some carpet pieces and a 'spare bed' however he, as well as his pals, tend to chew up beds outside. I think something strapped to him would be the best solution, maybe I'm nuts.
What is a Protect-a-pet suit? I think he'd accept something strapped to him, pads or something anyone bought anything already produced? Keeping it on would probably be the biggest hurdle. Maybe a neoprene dog pant or doggy chaps? Or a foam in a Kevlar shell? I'd put him in a backward bra if I had to! I have a vet appointment on Saturday but he isn't going to create a pad for me! Padded bicycle pants?
I am keeping peroxide on the sore for the moment but I can't let this get out of control. He is happy, cheerful, enjoys our company and wants to be with us. He still enjoys paw games and treats, he's a great eater and drinks water appropriately. Although the boy's head is a little tilted and he'll always be somewhat unsteady, he isn't ready to check out just yet.
I thank-you kind people for your input and will keep you in my best thoughts, Kelley
oldcargirl

Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Post by oldcargirl »

Oh Golly, I should know better. I just wrote a reply and didn't save it and it made me log in again and POOF! Post Gone! This one will be more biref.

Thanks Bobbie and Carol for your replies. I will further review the websites you've so kindly posted. It is amazing the ingenious solutions people have come up with to resolve their pets helath issues! Amazing! Yes, a trip to Goodwill and a little imagination will often result in a solution, great reminder.

I can't blame the outdoor surfaces entirely, we have pure wool, short nap carpet and the old boy has rotated on that same spot to get up for years. I should have seen this coming. I really think the answer is getting padding that goes where the dog goes PLUS bettering his environment (and hope the gang doesn't shred his 'betterment' very often!

My vet, whom I really do like, suggested the peroxide to keep it dry versus moist, soggy and not heal. My initial first aid sense was to use Neosporin. I am considering Rescue Remedy cream as it is handling a nasty little oven burn on my thumb without making it 'wet'. Peroxide just seems so harsh. Thankfully ants aren't an issue but when out Salt LAke City weather finally warms up, flies could be an issue. Thanks for the reminder BEFORE it is a problem.

In a pinch, because we own our own business, we can take a dog to work. This Belgian Malinois is the most difficult of my pack to take due to his extreme seperation anxiety. We worked throught it his first couple of years, furniture, angry neighbors, Animal Control notices, sibling fights, but with alot of love and patience we worked him through most of it and he's been a gem. That said, I work in the shop so I'm continually on the move. If I'm out of his sight for a minute, we unwind years of hard work. He basically wigs out and we are in a business that customers see and hear it. It does affect customers perception of our specialized shop in a negative way and employees can't take it for long either. So, he is happier at home and we are happier to leave him at home! I've tried herbs, homeopathy and flower essences and they work at home for fireworks, evening out, whatever but not the work situation.

We considered mens shorts but it hinders his ability to urinate and have a BM. I thought about seweing a pocket inside the briefs and putting a gel or foam pad in the pocket, we'd have to alter the 'outlets' too. I first put briefs in my dog when I was about 11 and haven't stopped laughing since. I'll post a pic of my Scout after surgery with boxers and suspenders to keep them up, it's a riot. Diapers could help too, maybe overnight and weekends.

So, last night the idea we came up with, for now anyway, is we used one of my padded bras on his rump and his tail is where the 'cleavage' should be. My hubby sewed the straps shorter we then put the suspenders on, routed through his collar. I hunted and searched through two stores for ideas and came up with some shoe gel inserts and oput that in when I arrived home. He successfuly has worn the bra over night then all day and stayed clean too!

I too have concernes over covering the sore versus leaving it in the open air. I think we might have to address this day by day, hoping keeping a pad at his rump will allow some air flow yet cover when putting pressure there. Hadn't ever heard of the tennis ball in the PJ's, I think that is a great concept. I could add a jock cup to the bra to keep him from laying on that side and still insert a gel or memory foam pad. Great ideas!

It is far past my bedtime, I thank you for your time and advice. I will try to post current info as we go and hope it might help others.

Good Nite!
kaiser brabutt1.jpg
kaiser brabutt1.jpg
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Ooops posted pic twice. Here is a close up. The sore is just below the base of his tail and left about an inch at the top of the 'hip' bone. The inside or cleavage edge DOES luckily cover the sore.
Attachments
kaiser brabutt 2.jpg
Last edited by oldcargirl on Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I have to agree, you are OUR PEOPLE! brabutt indeed, you are WONDERFULLY INVENTIVE! Smiles all 'round! :lol:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Hey Folks!
Another successful day with the bra on the rump sore! Although the shoe gel pad fell out, the bra pad is still covering the sore AND there is healing. I have been putting the Rescue Remedy cream on, since there was no sign of any infection and I did apply the peroxide a couple of times. I agree that a sore, especially a larger one would heal slower and poorly if left to dry and create a huge scab. And it isn't flexible so it just tears open again and again-OUCH! I've had enough scrapes, gouges, cuts and burns from working on cars to know that! Sometimes experience and that little voice are worth listening to.

I'll cut the vet assistant a little slack, since she didn't actually see the sore but maybe they should hold advice until they do see the patient. Who knows, one answer can't cover everything! I really do have a great conventional vet , he is very open to homeopathy, accupuncture, whatever works and HELPS the pet.

Thanks for your compliments on the buttbra, I think I outdid myself this time and almost wish the neighbors could see this one! He is hard to get a photo of, that boy is. And of course, I couldn't back down from a challenge like this! I just wish I was handier with fabrics, I can restore a classic car but the 'softer and more creative' arts are quite difficult for me.

As I've aged to be over 40, I have wondered if I needed something unique to help a physical problem, would someone be willing to do this for me? Or would they be too embarrassed? Or think I was embarrassing? My hubby would, but who else? Mom, Sis, Auntie?? I suppose we will all find out the hard way just how far someone will go for our comfort and well-being.

I will continue to try and pad the bra further, I may be able to silicone the shoe pad into the bra cup. I'll post an update with any info on that and how the sore is healing. I really have had great success with the Rescue Remedy cream and a Calendula ointment in a number of situations.

Enjoy the weekend all!
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

I wanted to give a quick update on how the pressure sore is healing and how the bra pad is working out. We visited the vet on Sat, May 16th, he still suggests peroxide but I didn't argue since he looked at Kaiser where alot of other patients could hear. Our old vet told us that sometimes it is better that sores dry and create a scar 'pad', thusly toughening up the skin like on dogs elbows. If the elbow is kept soft and supple, it just keeps a new sore going but if it is allowed to callous, it can take the wear and tear. So, I think this may be what the vet's thoughts are about. Still, we haven't used more peroxide.
Kaiser has been wearing a padded bra 24/7 with great success. I've kept Rescue Remedy cream and/or Neosporin on the sore. We've used the suggested oatmeal poultice which has also helped heal and likely sooth the sore. The raw and red sore has healed from bigger than a quarter to the size of a penny in a week! I was in a hurry and bought aquarium silicone at the big box pet store to 'glue' in the memory foam and gel show inserts into the bra cup as additional padding and give sort of a flap as the bra edge is close to but not quite covering the sore. The silicone is holding fairly well, but is beginning to peel some. Machine washing is out and handwashing only takes a few minutes. Since I glued up 3 bras, we have enough for rotation. I think the memory foam will prove a better pad than the blue gel type insert.
I realy goofed and first tried latex silicone because we had some at home. Well, it dawned on me about 10 minutes later that latex silicone will just wash out in 2 or 3 washings. So, I hurried and rinsed it away, left all to dry out then went and got the aquarium silicone. RTV (generally used on autmotive applications) is pretty much the same thing.
More good news is that so far, Kaiser can piddle and have a bowel movement and not mess his bra at all!
I wish there were a better way to keep the bra on, the suspenders through his collar is OK and it's not so tight it pulls, but he surely is aware of it. KAiser is a good boy and hasn't fussed with his apparatus.
My vet also suggested the diapers but confirmed if Kaiser piddles in the diaper and it stays wet that could lead to diaper rash. That IS a realistic option for weekends to give him a break from the bra.
Everyone's ideas and links has helped us in so many ways I really do appreciate it. This helps us to be more creative and maybe have a couple of options. I think Kaiser will have to wear some sort of padding the remainder of his life if we are to avoid these sores. I'm OK with that as long as he is and we will find ways to keep him comfy.
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd post an update regarding our 15 year old Belgian Malinois. I had received so much good advice when he first had vestibular disease and we observed the pressure sores I wanted to put up some good news. I also wanted folks to know this solution has worked long term.

It's been just over a year now (coming up on a year since our other boy went into cardiac arrest and was discovered he has Addison's disease) Anyway, Kaiser is still wearing a bra like I had him model in the photos. THe vestibular diease has not entirely subsided but it is significantly better but he isn't getting any younger and the hip degeneration continues. We try to take off the apparatus on the weekends ( so long as he's indoors) to give him a break from the harness and suspenders. Wthout them the bra has drooped and I don't want him to trip and fall. I have resized him from a 36C to a 34C since his legs and rump are thin now. The bra was causing some very mild chafng on his penile area so we bought a sheepskin steering wheel cover-they have velcro sewn the entire length. We simply cut a 4" section and wrapped around the bra 'back' and Voila!

Because he drags his front paws a bit when he rises he now wears some paw wrap on the wrist area as scrape protection.

He is quite mobile and although very cautious on the stairs (the other three race down them) he moves about at will. When we come home in the evening he actually runs across the yard! He still gets stuck if he lies down on the Marmoleum floor and our house is still paved with throw rugs and runners but it is so worth it! We didn't think he would recover from the vestibular episode. He enjoys his 3 siblings and although he has a few cranky moments, we are so grateful to still have him to love.

This site has so may nice people and so many inspriring stories! I am certainly not much of an active poster but I do appreciate those who are and the positive messages an information available here.

HAve a wonderful weekend and think only of the good memories of our faithful friends who are no longer with us.

Kelley and Kaiser, Trixie, Sid Vicious and Scout