Wheelchair from a walker + bike tires

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Wheelchair from a walker + bike tires

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

rustybucket

Many Thanks!!

Post by rustybucket »

I just wanted to say thank you to all the members here at HandicappedPets.com.

Earlier last week my 10yr old Akita/Chow mix became paralyzed basically from the waist down (not sure that dogs have waists...?). Anyways, the paralysis began sometime Monday morning, by Wed he was VERY wobbly in the backend, like a drunken person. By Friday he had completely lost movement in his rear legs and had stopped wagging his tail :(

Anyways, to my point. On Friday when I realized that I would have to provide him with some wheels (or doggy wheelchair) I spent quite a bit of time reading through this forum as well as watching videos on YouTube. Because of time, and other factors, I decided to build him a wheelchair myself rather than going the commercial route right away. This forum helped out in many ways in trying to design Buddy's doggy wheelchair.

So.... THANK YOU!!

Also, if anyone is interested in the whole story I've started a blog to help me organize all of this stuff together so that maybe someday it will help someone else who is going through the same situation.

http://buddysfight.wordpress.com/

Again, Many Thanks!

Rusty
rustybucket

Re: Many Thanks!!

Post by rustybucket »

The walker and bike tire concept was basically an idea born from necessity. I needed a doggy wheelchair asap and it was Friday at lunch. The quickest way for me to get one was to build it myself. When you get down to it a doggy wheelchair is basically three components.

1. The frame
2. The wheels/tires
3. The harness system

For the frame I knew it needed to be strong, sturdy and lightweight. Aluminum has all of these properties and I enjoy working with it. Now I had to decide whether to build the frame from scratch out of stock aluminum or try to find something else that existed that I could re-purpose. To be honest I don't remember how/why I thought of using a walker. Once I decided it would work I started looking for one to purchase. A quick search of Craigslist showed me that there were many available locally for under $20. It just so happened that I didn't have to pursue that b/c my girlfriends mom had an old walker in storage that was no longer in use. She graciously donated it to the cause.

Next on the chop block was an old bicycle of mine. The wheels were removed and the axles/sprockets and all peripherals were removed. It should be noted that bicycles require a certain type of wrench to remove the axel which was a PITA to locate on a Saturday.

With this project in motion nothing around the house was safe. Next under the knife (actually scissors) was an old scuba wetsuit of mine. It was hacked and combined with velcro and sewn together to form the harness system.

Spent about $100 in various hardware, clips, snaps, rings, strapping, bungees...etc.

So far the wheelchair seems to be quite stable and durable. There are a few mods I want to make in order to make it easier/quicker to attach Buddy to it. But other than these few mods I'm very comfortable with the design. Buddy is getting better with using it everyday, with every walk.
rustybucket

Re: Many Thanks!!

Post by rustybucket »

Thanks Carol,
I'll check out the links. I'll try to answer a few of the questions.

I made his harness system out of an old wetsuit I was not using anymore. The front harness velcros on. The rear harness goes on like underwear, then there's a D-ring clip to secure it.

Once I have both harnesses on him I get him to sit up or lay down, but upright. I then wheel the cart over him (the front bar is removable to assist with hooking him up). Then I pick up the D-ring clip on his rear harness, he stands up and I clip the D-ring to another D-ring on the cart. At this point only his backend is hooked up and is slightly elevated off the ground. I then pick up the front of the cart and strap it to his shoulder harness, re-insert the front bar and secure his feet in the stirrups. then we're on our way.

I prefer to do all of this in the grass in the front yard (just seems easier). So I carry him from inside to the front yard. When we're done with the walk I ask if he's ready to go inside and he heads for the door. I open the door and assist in getting the wheels up the stairs (he handles his front legs) and once inside I un-hook him.

I will try expressing his bladder today at lunch after our walk to make sure it's empty, that could definitely be a possibility.

thanks,

rusty
♥ DIY ♥

Re: Wheelchair from a walker + bike tires

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »