Playpen sheets sewing project

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Playpen sheets sewing project

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

CarolC

Playpen sheets

Post by CarolC »

CarolC wrote: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:55 am In 2009 I found a bunch of Cozy Kids quilted playard sheets on eBay for $7.00 that were perfect and I stocked up. I wish I knew how many I bought back then, but the eBay history only goes back to 2012. If I knew how many I bought, I'd know how many we were going through a year. Anyway, we've been going through them faster than expected.

Playard_sheets1.JPG
Playard_sheets2.JPG
It is now 5 years since I wrote that, and I have looked everywhere constantly, including eBay a zillion times, and have not found any more of these or any acceptable substitutes. I'm going to sew them.
:sew:
The first problem was quilted cloth. Most of what's available is single-faced with net on the back (as I complained about regarding the pillow covers). The double-faced kind is over $8/yd. I kept thinking I would find some old fashioned mattress pads, the all cotton kind with elastic straps holding the corners, and I would repurpose them for playpen sheets, but they have not turned up and I practically live at the thrift shop. :roll:

A couple of days ago I found a queen size white commercially made machine stitched quilt with what looked like axle grease on it at the Goodwill Clearance Center where they sell stuff that won't sell in the stores. It was $1.99 and I figured I could cut around the stain. I cut it up and got 6 tops out of that. It is channel quilted, not diamond quilted, but I think she will like it.

Then today I was back at Goodwill Clearance and they had what is either a king quilt or a bedspread, diamond quilted with cloth front and back. I haven't washed it yet but I'm guessing maybe another 9 tops from that.

The next problem was the back. I didn't want to buy yard goods even at Walmart because even on sale it would be a lot. I was hoping to find some stained sheets so I won't feel bad if some of it goes to the landfill, but so far all the sheets in the thrift store have been nice. Today I found a twin sheet where they had written the person's name on it in more than one place in permanent marker and I decided that would work, and I got it. Will post pics of the Cozy Kids back and the material I got.

Cozy_Kids_back.JPG
sheet_back_corner.JPG
tops_ready_to_sew.JPG
diamond_quilted_spread.JPG
critters
Founding Member

Re: Playpen sheets

Post by critters »

It's too bad you can't use the blankets like you send us, but reusing your finds is good, too! I used to have Ma sew a seam around mattress pad pieces to make warm, easily washable cat-sized blankets.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I actually thought about that! I thought the same thing. I see quite a few thin baby quilts in the thrift store for $2 - $3, and they would be the right size to fold under on all 4 sides, stitch the corners, and they would fit a playpen mattress. It would be the easiest project with the least sewing, and cute. But after getting kind of excited about that idea, in the end I just wanted plain white like we've had for 10 years, and it seems the only way to get white is to make them. I watch the color of her urine, and want to be able to spot any doodles in her bed, so white is easiest for that. And if I need to bleach them, white is best for bleaching. I like seeing that they are clean when I put one on her bed every night, they look so nice, and I want to know if there are any issues to be aware of when I strip her bed next morning. That's why her puffy comforters are also mainly white or pale pastel if there's a design.

The big spread and the sheet are in the wash right now with soap and a cup of bleach.

I'm planning to do more or less what your mom does as far as sewing. I don't have a serger (overcast) machine and I don't have (or want) pinking shears, so I am just going to sew a double row around when I attach the back to the top, and I think that will be good as it isn't visible and just has to hold up for many, many washings.
:wash:

EDIT TO ADD:
11 PM. Got one made. Looks like a playpen sheet. :) Can't try it right now because she's already in bed. Will wash it tomorrow morning and try it on the mattress and if it's OK will take a picture. Took maybe an hour and a half.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here it is. The first one was the easiest because I used the selvages and didn't have to hem the back. All the others will require more sewing. This is going to work.

new_playpen_sheet_top1.JPG
new_playpen_sheet_top2.JPG
new_playpen_sheet_back.JPG
EDIT TO ADD:
8 PM Another one done, that's 2.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Good points about white. Ma's machine can't do anything special either, but be aware that 2 years ago her machine got a hairball from doing too much fleece and furry stuff! True story. :shock: :mrgreen:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--They look nice! You might consider using that invisible thread for sewing them together, if your machine can use it, not because it's invisible but because it's monofilament, like fishing line, and it tends to be almost indestructible.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks. Sorry the one picture is so dark. My mother used to have some crystal thread, too, it is tough. But let me show you the problem we have. :lol:

Here is a picture of one of her old sheets. You can see what happens when the fabric gets thin and she digs it. The back is still intact but the top is torn. She will dig-dig-dig-dig-dig. If I tell her not to, she stops and then goes back to it. She'll have a comforter and maybe another blanket in her playpen, but she'll get in the middle of the playpen and dig the sheet. It's got to be an instinct, trying to dig a hollow at night. I have another dog who digs her fleece bed, too. But at least I can get another fleece bed, unlike the playpen sheets. The groomer uses the dremel on both of them so their nails aren't sharp.

digging_sheet.JPG

I don't know why I even saved that sheet, it was already retired, but it was in the bottom of her linen basket because I just knew I couldn't buy any more. I won't have to be scared to get rid of it now. :)

I don't know how long it will take her to dig through these new ones, it will depend on the fabric. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the Cozy Kids. They are already worn thin before she manages to get through the top. If I'm using 2-3 sheets at a time for her, that's 120-180 washings a year, so they just wear out. This is one of the reasons I don't use bleach every time. I'd like to but they'd wear out 10x faster.

I don't really sew that much, but I'll be careful if I do any fleece! :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I think mattress pads contributed to the furball, too!

Yeah, my claw-handed punks do that, too. It's a wonder peepads last a week in my house, with washing and digging!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

They are causing some fluff in the lint screen of the dryer. 3 are done now. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

CarolC wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:32 pm 3 are done now. :D
Congrats!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:thankyou:

At this point the thing that slows it down is the step where you pin the back to the front to fold the corners. I have to do it on the floor because there isn't a table in the house big enough, and mostly my creaky old self doesn't feel like crawling around on the floor with pins, so then I put it off. :lol: But I got 2 pinned this afternoon so those can be finished now. Then there is just one more to do from this batch.

If I was smart, I'd keep going and make the other 8 (out of the other quilt/bedspread) while I have it all memorized how it's done. Haven't cut those out yet. If we use 3/year (I don't really know how fast these new ones will wear out) then making all 14 would be another 4-almost-5 years. Might not have to make any more till, er, 2024? I think I should do it. We'll see...

Posting the progress is kind of helpful even if it's super boring to read :lol: but people with an incontinent pet who sleeps in a playpen will probably understand.

:sew:

EDIT TO ADD: 11PM fourth sheet finished
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Plus you'll have the directions you can refer back to if you forget in the future. I used to make sweaters for Baby out of kids' sweatshirt sleeves, and I kept one specifically as a template to cut more. You might be able to do something similar to make life easier.