Make baby panties / shorts into dog diaper cover

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
CarolC

Paralyzed Dog Urinating on Herself..

Post by CarolC »

Patsy, do you mean those are human baby pants on your dog in your avatar? The ones with the ruffles? Cute! All you did make was a slit for the tail and reinforce it...with bias tape maybe? I sew and I am thinking I am going to have to learn to make diapers because the ones I'm using cost $15/pr for a chihuahua and they wear out in the wash super fast. You'd think denim would hold up but it doesn't.
patsy

Re: Paralyzed Dog Urinating on Herself..

Post by patsy »

yeah!
please see my post on the "ideas for injured cat" part of incontinence & kidney problems. last time i went to the thrift store i got about 10 pr. of baby panties and shorts for $1-2 apiece (i was THRILLED!). i think i've hit up every thrift store in town. i put in a buttonhole approx. 3" long, about 2" up from the crotch. i don't reinforce, unless the panties are knit. then i just place a fabric scrap on the wrong side of the fabric, sew the buttonhole, cut it open, and then trim the scrap piece.
emma weighs about 12 lbs., and i get either premie or 0-3 mos size. look in both the girls' and boys' clothes. if i find a slightly bigger one that's just so adorable that i can't pass it up, i just take in the sides, or shorten it as necessary.
i put onsies on emma backwards. i look for the ones w/raglan sleeves, and cut the sleeves out, leaving just the bias tape. if they have set-in sleeves, i cut them out in an approximate raglan shape. they all fit a little differently. sometimes i take a small hair tie threaded thru a shank button (you might have to use a floss threader to get it through, and wrap it around the "straps," or bias tape left over from cutting out the sleeves, at the back of her neck, so that the straps don't fall off. if that makes no sense, let me know, & i'll post a photo.
i now have about 20 onsies, and 12 pr. of panties, so i'm not wearing them out quickly. sometimes she goes through 3-4 per day, sometimes only one. i still have not found THE perfect way to keep the diapers on, and leak-proof! it depends, too, on how much running around and playing w/the other dogs she does.
anyway, i usually put the panties or shorts on her backward, too, but, well, these little denim ones w/the ruffles are just too darned cute to turn around, right?
patsy

Post by patsy »

i forgot about these panties.
this is simplicity pattern #3508. i added a small piece of ripstop to the crotch, to reduce drag. another nylon, or polyester could also be used. you can see that i cut a hole for the tail, but i don't do that anymore, i just make a buttonhole. instead of buttons, i put on snaps. this is size xxs.
Attachments
panties on green 001 80x80.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:idea: Methinks Patsy needs her own page in the wiki for all these GREAT ideas :!: :!: :smart: