HEDGEHOG WHEELCHAIR

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Smiller847

HEDGEHOG WHEELCHAIR

Post by Smiller847 »

I have a hedgehog named Teemo. After many tests we think he has a tumor pressing on his brain or spine causing him to not stand. His legs are functional, he has muscle, he can move them. Only he can't walk and he can't bring himself upright. I need help building a wheelchair that supports his entire body, to secure him in, that he is upright. My prototype failed miserably. Please email with any tips or if you are able to build one. Thank you!
critters
Founding Member

Re: HEDGEHOG WHEELCHAIR

Post by critters »

:slant: Since a hedgie is so small could you adapt a wheeled toy? Also, it's not surprising that the first prototype wasn't so good. You can use what you learn and make another!
Smiller847

Post by Smiller847 »

I haven't found a wheeled toy that will support his weight and give him a place to put his legs :| .
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It takes a lot of creativity. I would walk through thrift and hardware stores building up my idea library before I finally came up with something I thought would work (and even that wasn't terrific).
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--I like PVC a lot for little ones because it's SO easy to work with, and cheap, too.
Smiller847

Post by Smiller847 »

I have been asking around but nothing that works has come up. Hedgehogs ball up so the fact he can retract his legs poses a problem too.

PVC is awesome but I think it may end up too heavy for him to move :/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I actually got to touch a hedgie an hour or so ago for the first time, and I see what you mean.
pdgal

Post by pdgal »

Maybe you could make a mini dolly out of a piece of wood, attach 4 wheel like objects, and then a belt of some sort? That way he could at least use his front paws to wheel himself around. This is an old post - so if you've found a solution I'd love to see it!
FYI

Post by FYI »