Indoor sled for scooting dog

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Indoor sled for scooting dog

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

SeniorPetLover

My husband made me the coolest thing for BJ...

Post by SeniorPetLover »

I have been in a quandry over how to help BJ get around better when he is not in his wheel chair. He drags both hind legs now, and I have been trying to keep them wrapped and/or splinted to keep him from getting sores. On Christmas Eve, my husband gave me the best gift...he made BJ a sled by basically taking a large plastic place mat and afixing a toilet bowl lid cover to it and using a belt and a strap with a clasp on it...the clasp hooks to the ring in BJ's collar and he sits on the lid cover which is attached to the plastic mat and he is attached to it with the belt. This enables him to scoot around the house on the sled so his legs don't drag. I know it sounds absurd, but it was the best gift and BJ loves it. My husband rounded the corners on the mat and he is able to turn, back up, lie down and roll from side to side while in his sled...it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have such a great husband. He growls about the dogs and has fussed about all of the time and money that I spend on BJ, but this proves that he loves us both. Just had to share...I'll try to get a picture of it for you guys.
SeniorPetLover

Post by SeniorPetLover »

This is a photo of BJ on his new sled...
Attachments
BJ on his new sled
BJ on his new sled
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

How cute! (And I love the pictures of both of them in Tinkle Trousers, too.) Your BJ looks like he scoots the same way my rabbit with a spinal tumor did, kind of a froggy legs position. That's a good way to develop a sore on the bottom, so your sled is a great idea. Your hubby is :trophy:
Dianne

Wow

Post by Dianne »

How cute is that! Hugs for the inventor.

Dianne
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

That is very unique! Quite inventive!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...