Homemade metal frame to help dog stand

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
kimanh hathi

my lying dog needs an instrument to practice standing

Post by kimanh hathi »

Dear FYI,
At the beginning of this letter I would like to express my apologies for taking the liberty of writing to you. Perhaps you wonder whom I am and who introduced you to me. I am the owner of a geriatric dog, and it is Dianne who recommended you as a person who has great knowledge of dog wheelcarts.
My beloved dog is invaluable to my family. Thanks to his saving, my mom is still alive. He stopped being able to stand on his feet and walk nearly four months ago. I just only knew the existence of dog wheelcarts 41 days ago. After knowing the web of Handicappedpets.com, I hastened to buy a two-wheel cart from them without understanding what kind of dog this cart can be used for. Although I have got this cart for a month, my dog hasn’t tried the cart any time because Dr Nancy at Handicappedpets.com told me that the cart was not suitable for my dog’s health situation.
My dog has lain down in bed for four months but he is not paralyzed. His limbs’ reaction is still sensitive and good. Whenever someone squeezes, or pinches his legs or paws, he notices that immediately and gives prompt kicks in return. His head mobility is still as good as that of a healthy dog. He is bright and alert. He is not incontinent.
For the purpose of taking our dog out of bed, we made a ‘horse’ for him to ride on. Except his head, his neck and his four limbs, the rest of his body base on the ‘horse’. My dog can stay happily on the ‘horse’ for about 15 minutes. His front legs can put down in the direction vertical to the ground, but his rear legs are not as good as the front ones; he has a tendency of not putting his rear legs apart, and we don’t know why he has such a tendency.
By riding this ‘horse’ all his legs and body can make some movements especially when he wants to get out of this ‘horse’. However, we realize that it cannot do any good for our dog to regain his walking ability. In addition, somehow the ‘horse’ is just like a relaxing bed, so his lying down in bed or riding on the ‘horse’, both can affect his health badly, injure his lungs, urinary tract and other organs. Moreover, due to his lying on his front most of the time the air cannot circulate well in his lungs, and blood cannot flow smoothly. Therefore, nowadays, he pants more.
He has been bed-bounding for 4 months, so it is very urgent for us to have an instrument to help him practice standing independently and in a ‘natural’ position, and reduce his lying time.
Dr Nancy mentioned the four-wheel quad cart (fully supportive), but after examining it, we realize that it is so difficult to put our dog in and out of this kind of cart. Besides, its complex shape looks similar to a trap. Our old dog will be very scared of it.
Last week, my brother made a new instrument for our dog, and we call it ‘standing bed’ because it looks like a bed. It has a rectangular metal frame supported by 4 metal pillars of the same height. The height of the pillars is almost the same as the height of our dog’s legs. Part of the ‘bed’ surface is covered with strong fabric containing 4 large holes: two large holes for his two front legs to put in, the other two large holes for his two rear legs to put in, and 1 hole with a much smaller size for his peeing. The reason why my brother made 4 large and long holes is that even when our dog is straightening his front legs forward we can still easily put him in or out of the “standing bed’.
Unfortunately when we put him in the ‘standing bed’, he immediately wanted to get out of it. Totally he was in this standing bed for just a few seconds. We have no knowledge of how force should be distributed. Perhaps this bed could not support his body enough that’s why he didn’t want to stay in it. We don’t dare to force him to be in it again because if we make a mistake we have no chance to correct it for an old and weak dog like mine.
I am writing this letter to you in the hope that you will give us your frank criticism, say how many wrong things we have made in our standing bed design. Please spend some time to see a picture of our ‘standing bed’ on the link:
http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww35 ... g&newest=1

If you would like to see our dog’s videos, please go to:
http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... V00036.flv
(I am sorry for not being able to mark these links blue so that you can just click on them to see the picture and videos. Please copy these links to see. Thank you)

If you have another design in your mind, please kindly let us know to rescue our geriatric dog.
There are some pieces of information not appearing on the attached picture.
The standing bed frame is made of stainless water pipes with the diameter of 20mm. Its length: 130cm width: 60cm height: 25cm (almost the same as the height of our dog’s legs)
My dog is 14 years old and overweight. His weight is 25 kgs. His belly is big and flabby. His back is arched down. The length of back from his shoulder blades to base of tail is 50cm.
The longer our dog is staying in bed, the weaker he becomes. We don’t know what to do to help our beloved dog. It is very unlucky for our dog to live in Vietnam where not many people treat dogs well. Vietnamese vets have very very little knowledge of wheelcarts, many even doesn’t know the existence of dog wheelcarts. Veterinary clinics don’t have enough equipment to cure sick dogs. We know that we are too much to ask you to treat our dog as a special case, but please, please help our dog. We are afraid that the worst will come soon if we don’t act properly. If we can do anything in return to your kindness, that will be our privilege.
Thanks to Dianne, I know about you. Thank you very much in advance.
I am longing for your help.
Best regards,
Kim Anh
kimanh hathi

Re: my lying dog needs an instrument to practice standing

Post by kimanh hathi »

Thank FYI, CarolC, and Critters for your kind concerns. Only when my dog is riding on the 'horse' can he put down his front legs in the direction vertical to the floor. By giving him daily exercise, we realize that the strength of his front legs is still pretty good, but we cannot say his front legs are still strong. We know that many dogs can use the strength of their front legs to drag their bodies along the ground, but our dog cannot do that.
FYI has given us many webs to look at. We need time to gain knowledge from these. Thank you very much.
Best wishes,
Kim Anh