Sew your own male wrap

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Dianne

Re: Designer wraps, sew one yourself *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Carol,

Thanks for the pics of the male wraps. With your help, I was able to find a pic and sew a free wrap that works!

The prices of the designer wraps were a bit expensive, so with leftover velcro and polartec, I was able to make a wrap that does the job! Yeah!!!

I cut a diaper in half so that I have 2 large squares and insert a pad of diaper into the wrap. No more dribbling or hosing when I pick him up :)))

I've attached the pic of the model that I copied.

Schnitzel weighs about 25lb., so I measured his girth and added about 5" to the length. 18"+5"=23" length of fabric. The width is 5"+2"+2"= 9" wide. The sides were folded in to make 2 long-2" pockets on each side of the length of the wrap so the cut diaper could be inserted into the folds. The wrap seems to stay in place without leaking despite no use of elastic(as in the pic) the length of the wrap.

I added 2 rows of velcro on the ends of the wrap so that there is a firm attachment when the garment wraps his body and it stays on. Success!

Dianne

Male Wraps
Dianne

You could sew your own male wrap

Post by Dianne »

Hi Marni,

I sewed 2, 4" long pieces of velcro onto the ends of a piece of fabric for a male wrap. The 5" wide fabric was the girth of the dogs belly plus an overlap of about 4", where the velcro attached . We cut diapers in half at the crotch line, and used them as filler. My dog would try to eat the diaper/filler when he felt frustrated. As I got better expressing urine, we no longer used the wrap.

It really does get easier with time. I can tell that you are dealing with a whole lot of things at once. Try to take it a day at a time, and take care of yourself, too.

Dianne