PVC wheelchair for dachshund

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Dianne

Jfruchey Re: Wheelchair construction.

Post by Dianne »

<snip>

I'm sorry that I didn't see your message earlier. We built a wheelchair for our paralyzed doxie. The price for a purchased wheelchair was also above our means.

We made a wheelchair for our pup using Schedule 40 PVC from HomeDepot/Lowe's. You can customize the fit of PVC by recutting it to a shorter length and refitting to the dog, BEFORE the final gluing. It's not expensive if you make a mistake cutting PVC too short, and need to recut a new length.

Two swivel clips were attached with eye bolts to the PVC at the neck end of the chair. We used a collar with two D rings as the attachment point for the wheelchair swivel clips. You could also use a purchased harnass or another idea.

A stretch ski headband on the arms of the wheelchair over the back keeps the wheelchair from flipping out of position.

The seat bar is PVC covered with a swimming pool foam "noodle". That cushions the pelvic area. Another noodle piece was used in the crosspiece of the foot area. It is easy to buy noodles this time of year for $1. It's much harder to find them in the fall and winter.

The wheels were salvaged from a children's toy. If we make another it will have wheels at least 6" in diameter for better movement through grass.

The total cost with PVC, PVC fittings, an axle, eye bolts, swivel clips, noodle was about$10-$15. You can purchase all of that at a hardware store. If you have a handyman in the family, he/she may have some of those thingsin their "junk" drawer. Look for salvaged wheels as they are the most expensive item. ...Maybe from a stoller???

PVC will accept Krylon spray paint for a HOT color. Have fun. Decorate it and make it a fun item for your pup.

I'll try to take a pic an post it later today.

If you have further questions, just ask.

Dianne
Dianne

Re: paralyzed shih tzu

Post by Dianne »

<snip>

There are other options: such as building your own PVC wheelchair from Schedule 40 PVC, wheels from a salvaged baby stroller or child's toy, and parts from the helpful hardware men at Lowe's or Home Depot. Show them pictures of what you want to build. Cut and fit the PVC before gluing. Keep the height of the chair level with Maxwell's back. You don't want his full weight resting on his front legs, but want the back level so that the wheelchair shares some of his weight.

Here is a picture of Schnitzel in his homemade chair.
Attachments
Schnitzel 005.JPG
Dianne

Re: "Big Love" improving, but needs wheels

Post by Dianne »

<snip>

I couldn't afford the wheels for my doxie, but my husband constructed a wheelchair for under $15 with salvaged wheels from a child's toy, eye bolts, clips for the collar, a $1 pool noodle, a used ski headband for back support, and schedule 40 PVC from Lowe's/Home Depot.

You'll need a hack saw, a drill to drill through the PVC, and PVC cement once you have positioned the PVC to your satisfaction. The pup's back should be level in the chair so you don't put too much weight on the front legs.

You might consider making one.

Dianne
Attachments
2-wheelchair 002.JPG
CarolC

Re: "Big Love" improving, but needs wheels

Post by CarolC »

<snip>

Here is another picture of Dianne's dog in the wheelchair (Dianne, I hope you don't mind) so you can see how it works.
SchnitzelCart.jpg
It is something like the ones made by Dogs to Go. I don't think they have a Walkin' Wheels to fit a mini yet, but Dogs to Go has been making wheelchairs for a long, long time and I have never heard anything bad about them, ever. Only compliments and praise. Their cart for 10 lbs is $70 and $13.50 shipping, their cart for 11-20 lbs is $75 and $15.50 shipping. If you are totally all thumbs and neither you nor your wife think you could assemble a homemade cart, here is the promise from Dogs to Go :wub: :angel: :
http://www.dogstogo.net/prices.htm wrote:Our belief has always been that anyone who needs a cart should have a cart. Financial restraints should not determine whether or not your pet can have the cart that they need.

So, WE PROMISE, as we always have, that if you need a wheelchair, you will have it! We want you to feel free to ask us about our financing, we are very easy to work with. No one should ever let financial issues get in the way of their pet getting the help it needs.