Homemade wheelchair for border collie

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Homemade wheelchair for border collie

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

Molliesmum

My Mollie Paralysed

Post by Molliesmum »

Thanks Carol. I'm not sure how much Mollie weighs. I can find out. The vet said she had 10 % chance of recovering after surgery the day of the accident and next day because no deep pain back he said she hadn't really any chance. Two vets suggested putting her down. Also I couldn't afford it. So taking her home was against the vets advice.
moll1.jpg
Molliesmum

My Mollie Paralysed

Post by Molliesmum »

Thanks Carol. She is really doing well since I last posted. No sensation returned though. She is much happier in herself and taking more interest in her surroundings and smelling trees and walls like any dog. She is still addicted to fetch and does a pounce at the end of her fetch run. We have modified the cart and there is a third wheel at the which takes weight off her shoulders.
The vet was very impressed and said there was no need to do xrays or anything. he said he was wrong to suggest putting her to sleep.
I have some questions.

I asked the vet about a squelchy sound coming from her belly and air coming out when expressing her at the end. She said the bladder is not distended. When you feel ber belly there is a sound of water moving about. He said not to worry but it wasn't there before.

She feels very thin on her back but i suppose it's because she has lost her muscle tone.
Molliesmum

Re: My Mollie Paralysed

Post by Molliesmum »

here's Mollie on the beach looking all happy from playing fetch!
Molliesmum

Re: My Mollie Paralysed

Post by Molliesmum »

HI aus delice!

I didn't see your reply til now. Hope you and your dog are doing well. I'm in the west of Ireland in a thatched cottage on edge of Lough Derg in County Clare.

Mollie is doing great. No change in paralysis but she is very lively and full of joy. She loves her walks in her homemade wheelchair and has been all over Ireland on holidays. Beaches are great for her chair.

I'm looking into getting an Eddies wheels for her. There is a guy in Uk JIm Colla who makes ones just like them.

http://www.dogswheels.com/