Virgil's dog wheelchair with independent suspension

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
Virgil

New Off road wheel chair!

Post by Virgil »

Looks great.
Makes my homemade cart with independent suspension look very tame indeed. Of course total cost of my cart, including the $2 springs was under $50!
Attachments
newcartfromrear_with george.jpg
Man does not live by Google alone.
Virgil

Carts and stairs

Post by Virgil »

My George [Silky terrier X with rear end paralysis post IVDD surgery 3 years] navigates stairs in a homemade cart just fine.
Going up I just lift the rear bar off the ground to horizontal and he just walks up. Going down stairs is sometimes an issue , not the difficulty, but the fearless nature of the boy causes me panic sometimes. Attached is image of him "carefully" negotiating a set of 13 wooden garden steps in our backyard. He dives off the porch chasing birds and "greets" strangers coming to the door by hurtling down the front steps. I built in some independent suspension to avoid tipping over when he goes bushwalking or diving into swollen creeks. [Someone better expalin to him the meaning of the word "disabled!]
Attachments
Disabled_NOT.jpg
Man does not live by Google alone.