DIY walker for baby goat

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

DIY walker for baby goat

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

CarolC

Re: SEVERE scoliosis *pic*

Post by CarolC »

Sorry for double posting. I was thinking of the Evans Mobility Carts, which are a simple to use 4-wheel cart that could help her practice standing. The website is not opening for me right now so I called the Vet Clinic where the vet who makes them is practicing. They confirmed they still sell the carts. If you want to call and ask about them, the number is

918-623-1166

They are open Mon, Tues, Wed and Fri 8:30-5:00
and Thurs and Sat 8:30-12:00

I think the vet, Dr. Evans, also raises goats! :D

Here is an archived copy of their website, since it isn't opening right now.

http://www.cevanse.com/
Kristina

Post by Kristina »

Thank you for the Evan's link, those look perfect! Finances are a bit of an issue given all of the vet visits but my dad was an engineer so I'll bet he could put something like that together. The vets have been very kind in allowing me to make payments. I've explained that though she is the most disabled animal I am currently working with, she's not the only disabled animal I am caring for. A few friends have also mentioned trying to do a fund raiser to help defer all of the vet bills as well as a wheelchair/cart. She's going to tomorrow to see if acupuncture would be beneficial so I have high hopes. I'm also looking into two of the physical therapy centers in the link you posted. Someone had mentioned UF in Gainesville (about an hour from me) has a physical therapy program for animals so I may try to get her evaluated there as well.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

She's QUITE bent, isn't she? I bet your dad could whip up wheels for her, and, in fact, you'd probably be better off since they'd be custom made, and repairs, when necessary, would be easy since he built them. I'm NO engineer, and I've done it (and redone it!). Redoing seems to be a fact of life due to the experience gained each time.
Kristina

Post by Kristina »

I'm trying to get a couple of decent pics of her and the wheelchair we made for her. She's still too weak to try to put in the wheelchair but between the acupuncture and physical therapy she's getting stronger. We're able to use a harness for her front limbs combined with a sling for her rear limbs and are trying to teach her to become coordinated with her front legs.
Kristina

Post by Kristina »

I asked the vets about hydro therapy, they said given the extreme nature of her birth defect the acupuncture and physical therapy would be her best bet. I've linked a pic of her in the cart tonight that my dad made. Her progress is shocking. Through her right leg is severely splayed she is already trying to pull herself with her left front leg and pull the right one in. We only did this for 5 minutes as to not “over do it” since she's also going through massage, stretching and joint flexing 3 to 4 times a day. She actually seemed excited when she understood if she pulls with her front legs she actually moves forward with ease. Such a cool thing to see.
Attachments
Lenore Walker.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohmygosh that is so PRECIOUS!!!! And your dad did such a stunning job on the cart, geez, maybe he could go into business. Do you know how many people on this board need a cart like that? He's a genius! It is so sweet and I understand what you mean about her "getting it". The excitement of things like this is what keeps you going through the therapy and nursing care. That is just wonderful.
:hearts:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I COMPLETELY agree about that beautiful cart; even my 2nd go wasn't THAT good!! :lol: