Set-up to catheterize a small dog alone

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Set-up to catheterize a small dog alone

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

sunspirit

Cathetering at home for almost 5 years

Post by sunspirit »

It's been awhile since I posted but I took a picture of Tucker while I was cathetering (catheterization) him this morning because he was in a funny pose. I thought it might be helpful to others who have to catheter by themselves - or who wonder about cathetering at home in general. It took me 1.5 years to figure that out how to catheter him alone since I was taught to do it with 2 people. I have been cathetering him for almost 5 years. At first it was only 2x week with expressing in between. I had to change to daily after a year. He has trouble with frequent UTI's at times. I use preventative antibiotics. They work fine until he becomes resistant. He has been doing great on Baytril and doxycycline for a couple of years now. I alternate to help keep him from getting resistant to one, although I was on two previously and he still became resistant.

I use a baby bather and knee pack filled with cotton balls when I catheter him.

He lost the ability to urinate on his own due to his Hemivertebrae. He was diagnosed when he was 6 months old. I started expressing him when he was 1.5 years old, cathetering him 2x week when he was 2.5 years and full time when he was 4.5 years. He is going to be 8 next month.

Anyways, here's a couple pictures of my sweetie.
Attachments
tucker catheter 1 (623x640).jpg
Tucker catheter wonky leg.jpg
Last edited by sunspirit on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren & Tucker

Tucker http://www.dogster.com/?299836

sunspirit

Re: Cathetering at home for almost 5 years

Post by sunspirit »

PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR VET BEFORE TRYING MY METHOD OF CATHETERIZATION. It may not work for your dog or cat depending on the situation. Tucker has a spinal deformity, not an injury. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.
rosielou2

Re: Cathetering at home for almost 5 years

Post by rosielou2 »

critters wrote:Great pics! :wub:

Do you perhaps mean doxycycline rather than doxepin? If not, does the doxepin help? I've never heard of that use of it.
I have to Catherine our pug alone. Just started this last week. Stressed out. Thank You so much for these ideas. He is also hemivertebrae and can not lie on his side.