Human stair lift turned into pet stair lift

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Human stair lift turned into pet stair lift

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

Ladyinmass

Re: Pet Stair Lift

Post by Ladyinmass »

I know it has been a while since anyone replied to this topic - but I wanted to add to it. My 78 pound, 13 year old Golden could not do the stairs anymore but refused to stay downstairs at night. I even tried putting up a gate and she would knock it down, drag herself up the steps and fall - I couldn't let that happen. So I had a used Acorn Stairlift installed - in place of the seat I have a heavy piece of counter type material ( it was actually the cut out from a friend's kitchen counter where the double sink went!). The whole think cost me $1500, $1300 for the used stairlift with installation and warranty and $200 for the adaptations. It is worth every penny.
I wanted to post this because when I searched I couldn't find anything at all anywhere with ideas for a stairlift for a golden retriever and I know the ideas would have helped.
Hope it helps someone else.
I used decals for the wording and paw prints :D
Attachments
Stairlift2.jpg
Stairlift1.jpg
Stairlift 0.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: So your baby doesn't need a box or something more containing to sit in during the ride?
Ladyinmass

Post by Ladyinmass »

No - I put her on it and hold onto her while I walk beside it.
In the beginning I tried to get her to sit or lay down on it, but she would fight me - she wants to stand on it. I think because she wants to be able to step off of it easily at the top of the stairs. Plus it is hard for her to go from laying down or sitting to standing up ( even though I would help her of course) but I think she is afraid of having to do that on the platform - so she insists on standing on it.
I can't take a picture of her on it while I am with her cuz I would have to let go - but if I have someone here one evening I will ask them to take one.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That is excellent! I love the simplicity of it. Dogs are famous for standing in the beds of pickup trucks, it makes sense she would want to stand. I guess if you had a dog that could not stand as well, that dog might do better sitting, but if she can stand that's great. Does it work with a remote that you carry along with you as you accompany her up and down the steps? Does it operate quietly so dogs would not be scared? It certainly takes a minimum amount of space in your stairwell. I'm totally impressed and I'm sure other people will be looking at how they can make one like it. You've got a very lucky dog, that's First Class!!! You should get a picture or a video, just for your own scrapbook! But please post it here, it will help so many people. This is one of the commonest needs for disabled dogs...just getting up and down the stairs.

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:
Ladyinmass

Post by Ladyinmass »

Sorry took so long to reply. No remote - just a toggle switch on the side ( pict attached to try and show it)
20160818_064416_resized.jpg
- which I want to move to an end cuz i hit it with my hips.
The big change I'd like to make it to find a bracket that can go over the pole with a 90 degree hinge so it can flip up instead of being down when it isn't being used. Ideas are welcome if anyone has any or knows of a type of bracket I can use that can hold heavy weight.
I am not a small person and it is 21 inches wide so it is a pain when I run up and down to do laundry etc.
As for noise - it is very quiet - just beeps if you stop it when it is not at the charging spots to let you know and my golden hates that.