Tinker Toy walker for baby raccoon

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
RaccoonRebel

Tick paralysis- anyone have experience with rehab?

Post by RaccoonRebel »

I am the caretaker of a raccoon kit. He was found screaming outside a construction site in the pouring rain. I think he was about 3 weeks old when we took him in, now he's approximately 8 weeks old. The first few weeks I picked several tiny ticks (flea size) off him. He'd get lethargic and I'd do a tick check. Each time (3) this happened he'd bounce back somewhat from his lethargy. He has been completely tick- free for just over two weeks. He has not fully recovered his voice. Vet's immediate thought was tick paralysis and was surprised he is still alive.

The problem is - the last bout left him partially paralyzed and weak in his legs. He never really learned to walk like a big raccoon because of his young age and the ticks. Now we are trying to teach him to walk. I made a "walker" cage, with slings to help him "stand", out of Tinker Toys and we put him in it several times a day. He has some balance issues along with the leg problems. Today he purposely scratched his chin and licked his back foot, so that is some progress.

So, finally my question- does anyone here have experience with rehabbing an animal after tick paralysis?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Tick paralysis- anyone have experience with rehab?

Post by critters »

:whale: There have been some dogs with it; CarolC, the link queen, can probably come up with the links. :mrgreen: Making him a standing frame or cart (wheelchair) is a GREAT idea. Does it have wheels, so he can move around? You might also check the "Exotic" board down below; I can't specifically recall a 'coon coming to Handicapped Pets, but somebody might have done so. There are also ideas for smaller critters down there, like ferrets, for instance, that you might adapt.
RaccoonRebel

Post by RaccoonRebel »

Thanks. His walker does have wheels and he can get around on hard surfaces. I have to figure out how to strengthen his very weak front leg too. The back legs are getting stronger. He can stand but falls over due to right front leg being weak. He is improving but he needs to be mobile.

I have a narrow plastic carry bin I have been having him stand in. It helps strengthen his legs and keeps him from falling over.

I may try some "swimming".
RaccoonRebel

Post by RaccoonRebel »

I made him a new Tinker Toy walker. He outgrew the first one. When I figure out how to post a picture, I will.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

That's the beauty of homemade--it's always possible to upgrade to a newer model! :lol:
RaccoonRebel

Post by RaccoonRebel »

Hopefully this works. This is his second version walker. This morning I put him in his walker at one end of the kitchen and worked on some art at the other end of the kitchen. It wasn't long before he was smashing his walker into my legs. He works hard and he manages to scoot around his "rooms." Lucky for him that he was taken in by me- a special education teacher! We do motion exercises and weight bearing exercises every day.
Attachments
image.jpeg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yeah, being from spedland helps loads. I'd suggest trying better wheels, if you can (and maybe you can't), so he could move better and more easily. Eventually you could use PVC pipe, which is easy to use, although not as easy as Tinker Toys! People have also used K-Nex kits for this purpose, especially for baby critters.
RaccoonRebel

Post by RaccoonRebel »

Critters, I have been searching for better wheels but I haven't found any I like yet. I'm hoping to find some soon. I tried having rubberband "treads" but they just kept popping off.
RaccoonRebel

Post by RaccoonRebel »

Critters, what do you think about using skateboard or rollerblade wheels?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

That's a good idea! The front ones need to swivel, though, so you might need to splay them out so as to not run over his hands. I don't know how you'd work swiveling trucks (mounts) with skate wheels, but it can probably be done. Skate wheels would have a nice ride to them, too.