Pulley to hold dog for expressing

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Pulley to hold dog for expressing

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

CarolC

Urinary: SandyNY about Porkchop?

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sandy,

I remember when you used to express Porkchop, your father devised a method to keep him standing so you could do it single-handed. Do you think you could describe how you expressed Porkchop, to be included in MarkR's webpage on expressing? All of the information so far is for small dogs. :(

Also, did you ever express him in a cart? Can you describe how to express in a cart?
SandyNY

Re: Urinary

Post by SandyNY »

I pretty much failed at the expressing. I didn't ever really get to the point of expressing in the cart. But you are right in the "expressing station" LOL My back porch has exposed rafters, so he put a small metal hook in the rafter, and used clothes line and small pullys to hook up the line. he put a clip on one end of the line so that we could clip it to porkchop's walking harness and step on the line to hold it steady. Don't think we have any pictures of it, but I could explain it better and maybe get pics of it, without a dog if you are interested.( I don't have a walking harness anymore and even if I did, I don't think my gsd would model willingly!)
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Post by markcrobinson »

A detailed description would be great, Sandy. I think it would be very helpful for owners or large dogs.
The more we can tell people... the better!

Thanks!
HandicappedPets.net

Post by HandicappedPets.net »

This 2005 article is copied from http://handicappedpets.com/Articles/exp ... tation.htm . The article was made by Mark Robinson with photos sent by SandyNY.

Large Dog's expressing station

stat1.jpg

Materials: Clothesline, one double pulley, one single pulley, one clasp hook, one screw eye.

Some people find it easier to express thier animal with the animal standing. This can be challenging with a large dog. This system was devised to make the process easier while maintaining the safety of both parties. This pulley system will lessen the weight of the load to 1/3. (So lifting 90 pounds will be reduced to lifting 30 pounds. ) On top is a double pulley hooked onto a screw eye which is anchored into the ceiling. Run the clothesline thru the double pulley, down to a single pulley, back up to the other side of the double pulley, then back down to the single pulley. Tie the line to the top of the single pulley and attach the hook that will clip to the dog’s harness.

stat4.jpg