Homemade Slings

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Homemade Slings

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

poohbearsmom

Homemade Slings

Post by poohbearsmom »

I too was frustrated with the slings I purchased. What ende up working the best for us was homemade slings. The first one I used and old sweatshirt and just cut a strip about 9 inches wide and 21 inches long. I folded it over (soft side out) and stitched it together. Then I bought two 4 foot nylon dog leashes at the dollar store. I centered them on each side of the strip of sweatshirt and hand stitched them on. Then I stitched the leashes together at each end to make handles.
Then just loop in around the dog just in front of the hind legs and lift. It does put pressure on the spine in the middle of the dog. But the State Vet teaching hospital used the same thing when they transported her - except they just used a towel looped under her and grabbed both ends (no handles)
The second homemade sling I used was similar to this:
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/sling/
Except I modified it a bit to fit my dog. I even put a sanitary napkin in it to catch urine when she was leaking. The only thing is it was a lot harder to get on and off than just the sling.
Hope this helps:)
poohbearsmom

FCE - I need advice :)

Post by poohbearsmom »

<snip>
The best rear end harness I used was one I made out of an old sweatshirt and two short dog leashes from the dollar store.
I took an old sweatshirt and cut a piece to go under her belly. I made it double thick. Then I sewed the dog leashes on to the sides for support and made loops for handles on the ends. I don't know if you can see what I mean by making handles - but here's a picture:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x311 ... ng_001.jpg
<snip>