Litter box for Alex P. Kitten

Share creative ideas for building, sewing, adapting, or crafting things by hand for special needs pets. Find ideas for your homemade project here!
♥ DIY ♥

Litter box for Alex P. Kitten

Post by ♥ DIY ♥ »

The FlyerFly

an update on Alex P. Kitten...

Post by The FlyerFly »

<snip>

Alex was found by me running along the shoulder of a highway at 7 weeks old. my wife and i brought him home and he was seen by a vet the next day. <snip> he was the saddest thing on earth. we found out as he grew that he also has hip dyspasia. but he also has bone growth deformities in all of his legs where his radial bones and femurs are S-shaped. he eventually lost the use of his back legs once walking had become too cumbersome. this was all by the time he was about 5 months old.

we thought that since Alex couldnt carry his own hind end, he might benefit from a wheelchair. we went through Doggon Wheels (very highly recommended by the way) who helped to get him fitted. unfortunately, Alex's deformities in his front legs kept him from being able to use the chair effectively. the weight on his front end would be too much, and we didnt want to worsen his condition making his front legs unusable. he is able to get around by dragging his back end, and we didnt want to cause him to lose that too.

because of his condition, Alex has needed to be taken to the litter box twice a day to do his "business". he wasnt really able to do any of this for himself, and has had some difficulty covering his waste afterwards. <snip> we had to come up with some way that Alex would be able to get into the litter box and out again on his own. so i divised a specialized litter box for him. <snip>

we had to train him to show him that he is able to do this on his own now, but it has worked out great. we started by sitting him on the ramp in front of the box and coaxing him into the box with a treat. then, we did the same to get him to exit the box. we only used the treats the first three or four times we tried to get him in and out on his own. from that point, his urge to "go" drove him to climb in. most of his litter box trips are supervised to make sure he doesnt mess himself, but he now has the option to get himself there in an emergency.

he has been using the modified box for some time now, and we were delighted to see this morning when we came down that he had gotten himself in, made a bowel movement, and back out again without a spec of mess on him or the carpet. it looks as though our little boy is starting to master his toilet techniques.

<snip>
The FlyerFly

Re: an update on Alex P. Kitten...

Post by The FlyerFly »

<snip>

i went to Lowes and found a 55 gallon storage tote that looked like it had a lid that was big enough for the job. i sawed down and sanded the one narrower end of the lid, and attached a couple of smooth rubber mudflaps as ramps that i just happened to have laying around in the basement. i had to trim down the ends of the flaps to cover as much area as possible on the edge of the lid. i had to make sure that the flaps were a very smooth surface because Alex would be pulling himself slightly uphill as he entered the box. i also wanted something that was easily clened just in case Alex had an accident. i also used round head bolts to attach the flaps so they wouldnt be a hindrance for Alex as he got in and out. i have a small length of 2x4 under the pair of flaps, just for support as Alex passes over the flaps. finally, i made sure to use crystal litter...the kind that doesnt clump because Alex would have it everywhere otherwise. the crystal litter does a great job drying up urine quickly, and the litter just falls right off of Alex, making it easy to clean up with a Dustbuster.

<snip>
The FlyerFly

Re: physical therapy toy

Post by The FlyerFly »

you could get mudflaps from an auto parts store...AutoZone, NAPA, or Wal-Mart might even have them in their automotive section. the ones i used were for a Ford Ranger or other light truck. that way they arent that big or heavy. but like i mentioned, the smooth surface is most important.

<snip>
The FlyerFly

Re: an update on Alex P. Kitten...

Post by The FlyerFly »

<snip>

one of the biggest factors for Alex though was space. the lid i adapted for the box is actually about 2 1/2 ft. by 2 ft. Alex's inability to keep his legs beneath him was the main reason he needed this space. they have to be to the side, and they can really get it the way (if you know what i mean) if he doesnt have alot of space around him.

<snip>
RichB

Great job on that!

Post by RichB »

Nice design and use of regular materials you find at Lowe's and other stores.
Thanks for sharing your ideas and the good news about Alex!
The FlyerFly

Re: Leaving well enough alone

Post by The FlyerFly »

<snip>

Alex is in fact remarkably happy considering his condition. hes always so thrilled to see me come downstairs in the morning, and purrs so loud you can hear him in the next room. :)

and speaking of having it made, every night before i head to bed, he gets tucked in on the couch with a pillow and his favorite fleece blanket. now thats the life!