more tragedy

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Dianne

Re: more tragedy

Post by Dianne »

I think I misread your post, Sandy. I thought you had her PTS. Most of us have gone by gut feelings and ignored vets at one time or another. If YOU are willing to keep trying, then keep trying!

Carol, is right. (I've got a paralyzed pup.) Since Louie is reaching out to you, and putting her paw in yours, maybe she isn't ready to let go.

Are the pain meds working? Is she eating?
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

i did have her put to sleep. she was in pain,she at very least needed medications. she probably needed surgery which the surgeons did not want to get into because "she would be left unable to poop on her own. and pelvic fractures are extremely painful."
her pelvis was not just cracked, but it was twisted out of alignment so that there were two jagged edges sticking outwards from the pelvic square.
there was also a space in the vertibrae at the base of the tail on the xray. the er vet felt she had been hit by a fast moving vehicle and the tail had been pulled away from the body to the extent of the size of about one vertibre bone. the vets felt she would never be able to recover from the neurological damage. she was abke to walk ; she tried to run from them; but they said that is reflex - they claim she had no deep pain sensation and had no signals between the brain and her legs even tho she did react when feet and legs touched... her tail was definately nonresponsive. having no experiance expressing, noone willing to show or see it as viable or doable, i could not assist her too much in relieving her bowels or bladder given the bone fragments, breaks, and jutting bones which could go into anywheres. it seemes as if she was actually unable to poop even with me trying to help her and her appearing to be pushing so maybe it couldn't get thru.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, SandyNY, I know you wanted an opportunity to save her. Sometimes they find us to give them peace and relief. You work so hard to save a life, and they don't make it. that hurts so much. I am so sorry. You gave her your absolute best shot at life.

As you know, I had to change hospitals when I was chewed out for not destroying a blind dog. It's all about education and choice.

No vet can force you to destroy an animal. You simply pack up your little bag and call another hospital. Explain to them you have a critter (sorry critters) that your vet wants your animal to be put down, which disagrees with your optimal outcome. I have always found receptive ears when I call and say, you are my last hope. They always welcome us knowing what our goal is. I found another hospital for Possum, but by this time,she was beyond all hope. One doc said we need to be in a big city with good hospitals for her to find a possiblity of a cure or any relief.

Tell a new hospital what your goal is and you are looking for a healthcare partner. We are in a new age of being a part of our animals well-being, and we are being respected as such. Nationally we spend a fortune on our critters (sorry critters).
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

OH....back to sympathy. I'm so very sorry Sandy.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm sorry I misunderstood Sandy. I'm sorry for your loss.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh Sandy, this has been heartwrenching..I am so sorry.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Many many many purrrrrrrrrs, Sandy.
so sorry this happened :(
at least she was with you for her last few days and not hiding somewhere outside alone.
that counts for a lot

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Sandy I just read about Louie. You tried SO hard with her!! Your story shows me again how lucky we have been with Leo.

Bendy Kity is right, Louie had you to care for her and cry over her in her final days. That does count for a lot!!