Feral cats...

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Feral cats...

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, SandyNY, my attempts resulted in cats going through glass windows, screens, and even chicken wire. They could not be picked up, and scattered like mice when I would approach. But asidefrom having to tape plastic to my windows and taking them to the shelter rather than release them to the horror that is the feral life here in Beaufort, it's not something I would ever try again.
It is good to see you can save a cat, and confine them, because even my InsaneFeralKit jumps from the 2nd storey window when she is confined in the house. She was a tiny baby when extracted from a tree after 3 days of trying. She will allow you to hold her, and feed her and she will come when called. But only becuase I got to her when she was just a baby. If she had been trapped as an adult, that little InSaneFeralKit would have bolted a long time ago.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

Like i said, some people think it is more humane to kill them than to allow them to live a wild life.
I don't know the circumstances of your window flying cats; but i do know of a few cases of cats who were 100% indoors born and raised who went thru windows .
You cannot trap a wild possum, skunk, cat any creature and throw it in your house and expect it to be tamed. I understand your theory that only a wild animal contained and hand raised from birth could adapt. But my stand is that is theory . and reality is much different.
Cats are generally much different from dogs. a beaten pup may take 5 minutes to understand that you are good and allow you to pet him. A wild cat will take the same 5 minutes to come to the same conclusion, but he is not stupid or naive enough to allow you to touch him at that point. You will have to spend 5 months or 5 years proving that to him.
If you supply a wild cat with food and shelter and give him the respect of a wild animal and the care of a pet; he will come around to respect you.
I think maybe the problem people have with wild cats are that they look like pets; whereas a wild possum or hedgehog looks like a wild animal. The whole bottom line with wild cats is they DO look like pets - and they exist because people were irresponsible.
Likewise, There are children who live nasty lives on the streets doing bad things...should they be killed so we don''t have to look at them? Should they be killed so they don't live out thier bad lives ending in a bad ending?
Or are 4 leggers much different than 2 leggers? Do we need to remove them from public sight? MY personal problem with that, is that THE particular ONE to be removed/ ignored/ not helped. It is not his or her fault. they did not ask to be born. they did not ask to be where they are today. That one cat posted about did not stand up on her hind legs and say "I Do Not Want To Be Rehabilitated!" As far as we know, she is a pet who got pregnant and therefor kicked out.
On Freecycle here, just last week; a heartfelt, painful post of a lady having to give up her cat she has had since birth - the 8 year old cat got out of the house somehow. she got pregnant. Now she is to get evicted.
Happens everyday in america. the most loving, cuddly cat will spend 15 minutes on the street before she is suspicious of people. now she no longer approaches everyone with a leg rub and a purr - she is homeless and people are shooing her and yelling at her - and she is pregnant for the first time. to advise someone to leave her be is just as bad as turning your own back on her. and your pots upset me, because you would never do that to a dog - no matter his circumstance, you sit out in the woods in the cold, to held a strange dog but you don;t think a cat is worth as much dedication. why? her soul is just as real. There may be 50 wild cats in an area - but how do you know this One cat is not a drop off because she scratched an expensive couch or peed on a good carpet? And, again, my cuddliest cats were all born wild - and brought up wild. they became cuddly in adulthood, or at very least teenagehood.
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Well this is day four of Leo's new life. I have some pics of him eating. I'll get those up soon. He is more alert today and actually played with us. His little backbone feels just a little less pointy when you run your hand down it. He got on my lap for the first time this morning. When I go into his room I let him approach me on his own time and if I give it a minute or so his curiosity gets the better of him and he comes over to me, does a little roll and shows his belly. He loves it when I give him belly rubs.

He is starting to play with some of the toys on his own now, we thought that was a good sign. If we had a scale with increments small enough we could chronicle Leo's weight gain. These first pics taken on day three will start off the picture chronicle.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nasus858/Leo2#

One little quirk we have noticed about Leo is his habit of not holding his tail up. When he first sees us it will come up but eating and playing and just socializing with us it stays down most of the time. I wonder if this is because his mom taught him to not wave it around and attract a predator. Anyway it is amazing to see Leo progress. He no longer runs when we softly open the door to his room. He is starting to realize that our hands only bring food, belly rubs and other good things that are all brand new to him. If I think about it, it is about the biggest change a being could go through. The fact that he is doing so well is a wonderful payoff to our effort and expense.

Thanks again for all your support!!

Mike.
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Also...I still have the female to TNR. This vet is the one the local Pets and Pals uses and they have about the best prices on surgeries and other procedures. Just because of our success with Leo we aren't forgetting about the other feral cats. The Yahoo group on feral cats is so helpful.

Should I do a TNR on the male as well? He is so wary if I trap him once he'll never fall for it again.

Thanks again...

Mike.

You are so right, trap me once shame on you, trap me twice shame on me :lol:
I would definately get him neutered, as it will lessen his aggression, he won't be so inclined to fight for territory or a female, he won't get any other young ladies in 'trouble' and his overall demeanor may change for the better. Also ask doc to vacc the 3 year rabies, if he might donate that shot? Your local rescue probably has some resources in this regard.
We have SNAC down here, which cost has doubled from the original $35. But ferals have to be tranquilized before they can come out of the carrier/trap, so there are additional costs involved.

I CANT WAIT TO SEE PICS of baby Leo! Little charmer is working his way under your skin right now! He has CLAIMED you!
I am so excited for your future!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Awwww! :hearts: Maybe Leo's kinda shy?? I absolutely would TRY to get the male; get him snipped, a rabies vax, and maybe a combo shot--they'll give him some protection for some period of time. You're right though--he may never get caught again unless he's too sick to resist, but that's the way it goes.
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

There's four pics of him eating Gabriel. We'll take others soon. And yes Leo is kind of shy. He loves to cuddle. He met my son Josh for the first time and this is the third human to get this close to him. He went right up to him and sniffed his fingers. So it does not seem that socialization will be a problem.

But today Susan went back to the vet because of the LP not getting any better. This is worse than LP its diarrhea and if he wasn't so emaciated it would not be such a concern. The vet said we could lose him if we don't get that under control. That was kind of sobering news.

We now have to administer Probiocin oral gel and Albon Liquid once a day till the medicine is gone. Albon is an antibiotic so its important to give it all to Leo even if his diarrhea stops I guess. Unless anyone knows better...

He does seem lethargic but starving will do that to a kitty. We'll just take this one day at a time...
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

Albon is typically used to treat coccidia (which are bacteria or protozoa) that causes bloody diarrhea. You need to avoid feeding Leo raw meat. And you absolutely must give it all as prescribed even if the diarrhea stops. Diana
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Diana R. wrote:Albon is typically used to treat coccidia (which are bacteria or protozoa) that causes bloody diarrhea. You need to avoid feeding Leo raw meat. And you absolutely must give it all as prescribed even if the diarrhea stops. Diana

Thank you Diana. The raw stoped four days ago. He never got more than five or six peices three times but that may have been enough to upset his digestive system. We have not seen any blood.
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

critters wrote:Awwww! :hearts: Maybe Leo's kinda shy?? I absolutely would TRY to get the male; get him snipped, a rabies vax, and maybe a combo shot--they'll give him some protection for some period of time. You're right though--he may never get caught again unless he's too sick to resist, but that's the way it goes.
OK the plan will be to TNR on the male also. State law in California requires every feral to be vaccinated for rabies prior to surgery. So that will be done. It's only ten dollars. I have started a collection down at work...it seems if I do the leg work a few people will contribute money so that helps immensely. They'll probably hang a name like "cat man" or some such other term of endearment on me. LOL I know they know I had it bad for that kitten.

This is the start of day five. Leo came trotting at me when I cracked the door. He wants to know so bad what awaits him on the other side. I swear he must think he's died and gone to kitty heaven with all the toys and food and warm shelter and all the love he gets from us...

Sorry I tend to let my mind wander in the morning!!

But we still need to kick the diarrhea problem.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You know, I wonder if the vet will do a diarrhea protocol with him? They basically shotgun as many of the causes as they can as quickly as they can. You might also consider adding live yogurt and pumpkin to his food; in this case, I'd use plain pumpkin rather than pie filling because of the additives pie filling has. Yogurt shouldn't hurt him either, even if he should be lactose intolerant, and he'll probably find both yummy. It sounds weird, but extra fiber sometimes helps absorb the extra water in the diarrhea. You can also use Prescription Diet high fiber food mixed 50/50 with kitten food (the diet food isn't nutritious enough for kittens to eat alone).
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

critters wrote:You know, I wonder if the vet will do a diarrhea protocol with him? They basically shotgun as many of the causes as they can as quickly as they can. You might also consider adding live yogurt and pumpkin to his food; in this case, I'd use plain pumpkin rather than pie filling because of the additives pie filling has. Yogurt shouldn't hurt him either, even if he should be lactose intolerant, and he'll probably find both yummy. It sounds weird, but extra fiber sometimes helps absorb the extra water in the diarrhea. You can also use Prescription Diet high fiber food mixed 50/50 with kitten food (the diet food isn't nutritious enough for kittens to eat alone).
Thank you for the idea!! I will bounce it off the vet tomorrow as we will be out of food again. We need to see if we have to keep him on this diet. But thanks for the idea on the pumpkin and yogurt!! That stuff works on us it should work on them.

He still eats every hour or so. He will clean his little bowl like a dog does.

Absolutely fiber helps. Possum was put on two rounds of endosorb for her IBD.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

Today, 10/13 Susan went in with Leo to the vet. The vet was impressed with Leo's progress. He is visibly heavier and his diarrhea seems under control as of this morning. Not quite what it should be but not runny. The vet told us to start mixing in Natural Balance Kitten food because we had some of that on hand, and we don't need to keep buying the a/d at $8.00 a can. (whew)

He wants to play a lot more but we were told just short little bursts of playtime so he can concentrate on getting his strength back. The vet said at this stage in his recovery he should still be sleeping most of the time to let the food work into his system.

Leo is quite the lover. I'll get more pics up soon!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You know, if Albon doesn't cut it for the coccidia, Baycox should. I'm not sure whether Baycox has moved to the regular vet world yet or not, though; it began as a bird med.