Severe Heart Murmur?

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
LoveYourPetExpo

Severe Heart Murmur?

Post by LoveYourPetExpo »

We may have another blind aussie pup on the way, but this one also has a severe heart murmur (6 on a scale of 1 to 6). I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good. I don't know if the pup can even survive the 7-hour drive to get to us. We can handle the blind part, but I really need an education on the heart murmur. Is there any way this little guy can have a life?
Diana R.

Re: Severe Heart Murmur?

Post by Diana R. »

Grade 6 is what is called a machinery murmur and is the most severe. I have a cat who has a grade 4 heart murmur. I fostered Simba in 2004 and then adopted him. He has a ventricular septal defect or a hole in between the bottom two chambers. I have had him ultrasounded a couple times and was told he could live a normal life. I think the most important thing is to have the dog evaluated by a cardiologist who can determine what the problem is. It may be something that is fixable. An ultrasound will typically run about $300 but it is well worth it. Diana
CarolC

Re: Severe Heart Murmur?

Post by CarolC »

It won't just be the trip, it will be the weeks of adjustment following the trip that will put stress on the heart as well. You may think you are out of the woods once he arrives safely, only to run into problems a week or two later. I am not a vet but I would talk to the vet about putting him on heart medication before he travels, and possibly sedating him for the trip. I agree about the ultrasound, do they know what valve is causing the problem? There are medications that can control the forcefulness of the heartbeat and the blood pressure. The vet may be willing to give you some lasix to travel with, in case he needs it.

You might ask the current family how well he travels. Some dogs just go to sleep during a car ride, others are wired. It may also help to know whether he is a mellow dog or highstrung, which will have a bearing on how easy or challenging it will be on him to adapt to a new home. Overall the move sounds risky, but if this is his only chance then you lose nothing by trying. I would check along the travel route for vet clinics you could go to if he gets into trouble, and I would travel during the day when they are open. If he can be kept in his current home, I would do that. This is my personal judgment, not a medical opinion.