strange behavior in my st. bernard/aussie mix

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
kodiblue

strange behavior in my st. bernard/aussie mix

Post by kodiblue »

Anyone have an idea about this?? My St bernard/aussie mix, Gus, sucks on the skin between his hip and belly. (the skin is sort of like the webbing between our thumb and first finger.) He only does this on the right side. A few days ago I saw him holding his leg up and trying to rotate it around and seeming to not want to put it down. Then he lay down and started sucking on that spot. The hair is getting matted he does this so much. He isn't my handicapped one but I was wondering about hip dysplasia. I have never heard anything about this odd behavior but plan on getting him looked at on our next vet visit. I also have Jack, brother to Weebles who has CH. He has now developed epilepsy. That was a SCARY night. Thanks all Lisa.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

He may have an irritation, he may have a compuslive disorder.

You need a Dx to determine how you approach this.

I have done a humongous amount of research on CCD, and this may well be CCD.

Any behaviour is simply a behavior until it begins to repeat. If not treated, it will become hard-wired and you are in for the run of your pup's life.

If your doc thinks it may be compulsive, please report back because I have knocked myself out on researching CCD.

One thing ANY Dx will tell you is interrupt.

And we can move forward from your diagnosis, if we need to look at compuslive disorder.

If it is an irritation which it may WELL be and which I hope that it is, we can look at those options.

In the meantime, INTERRUPT. always, constantly and immediately.

:group:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
kodiblue

Post by kodiblue »

I think ccd is for older dogs. But I forgot to say also that when he is touched on his back or sides, his skin twitches. Not if he is stroked as a pet but just touched like with one finger. Strange. Maybe compulsive. I'll let you know. He also dislikes rough housing unless he is doing it, and growls at the offenders (who usually drag him into the game, ending the behavior) He is not quite 2, will be July 3. I got him at the local shelter. He was there because he outgrew his owners apartment. (doesn't St. bernard tell people anything??) I'm anxious to find out. Do any of these behaviors sound like an aussie thing?
kodiblue

Post by kodiblue »

Also forgot to say this guy is a LOVEBUG!!!!! He is happiest snuggled close and in a humans arms. (any one will do , he's not picky) Loves to have his face stroked, and to get a massage. (I'm taking canine massage classes)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

kodiblue wrote: But I forgot to say also that when he is touched on his back or sides, his skin twitches. Not if he is stroked as a pet but just touched like with one finger.
That particular part sounds like feline hyperesthesia syndrome. I realize he's not a kitty (far from it, in fact! :lol: ), but maybe there's a canine version?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Canine Massage! I love that, have you looked at the tellingtontouch site?

I was given the book by a practitioner. It was initially developed for horses, but has had such success that it is now used for people and pups.

DeafBlindPossum came here at the age of 16 months with full-blown CCD. She was and continues to be hardwired. Finally found a doc who has Rx'd for her. Chlomipramine, no results yet, but it needs to build up in the system.

She could not stand to be touched when she got here, and now loves hugs. Although not for more than a moment when the hard-wire kicks in. Possum's CCD has now progressed to serious aggression, with unprovoked attacks on my other deafblind. One thing my cousin is trying is to keep toys away from her. She is extremely aggressive with anything in her mouth. She is extremely aggressive when surprised, which, unfortunately, another deafblind will do when stumbling over her. I am toying with the idea of scenting her so he smells danger before he steps on it :).

I agree with you and critters, kodiblue may be intensely sensitive? I had an aussie golden mix who had sensitive skin and she had to have oatmeal baths.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
kodiblue

Post by kodiblue »

I am going through Equissage. Also first used on horses. It works well for my CH pup Jack. Gus doesnt have any skin problems, it looks healthy. Anyway I'll let you all know what I find out. Thanks, Lisa