Advise on Carsickness

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
azbillridge

Advise on Carsickness

Post by azbillridge »

Anybody have any good advise on carsickness for our Shelby?
She is getting once-a-week acupuncture treatments, which are about an hour drive away. Her appointment is always early (we leave at 7:30), and so she's just getting up and has had nothing to eat or drink, but gets sick, even though there is hardly anything to come up. She's OK on the interstate, but we have about 20 min of nothing but hills and curves, before the interstate. Guess that's part of the problem. Anybody know of anything I could give her to calm her stomach? Is there a prescription something I could ask the vet for?
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) works with dogs. Call your vet for the proper dosage.

Does she get car sick if she has eaten and had something to drink?

Have you tried different positions/ views in the car? I'm assuming you have her in a crate when you travel. Is it a wire crate? Plastic side?
Have you tried putting her where she can see the road vs where she can't see?
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
azbillridge

carsickness

Post by azbillridge »

No, I do not put her in a crate, because she couldn't see out and I'm afraid it might be worse that way. She's very heavy, and would be too difficult to get in and out. She can't use her back legs to help. I have a SUV type vehicle, and we put the 2 back seats down. She can see out all the windows this way. We'll try getting her to eat a bit before we go this next time, and I'll call my vet to find out her dosage for the Dramamine. She is supposed to weigh 50 lbs, but my husband swears it's a 100lbs every time he has to lift her in the car!
Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Advise on Carsickness

Post by critters »

Have you considered a ramp for the SUV? You can buy them or DIY. DIY directions can be found in http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Week ... 082&sr=1-1
azbillridge

Post by azbillridge »

Sorry it has taken a while to respond back, but we lost my uncle. I do very much appreciate all the advise. I made sure Shelby did eat this time before her appointment, and she didn't get sick! We didn't have to use the medicine. I also have ordered the book with the ramp in it, and it arrived today. I can't wait to get started on it, I think it will really help a lot! You guys are really great! I love this site! I can always get lots of help for any problem I run into. I don't know how I would have made it without all the help!
I've had Shelby about 6 weeks now, and when she arrived I didn't know the first thing about taking care of a dog in her condition. It wasn't hard to learn, with all the help available here!

Thanks!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

The book gives directions on cutting the notch and all, but you can also use it as a jumping off place to invent your own. That was one of the best things I saw about it!

As far as I know, you'll be the first one to try the ramp, so let us know how it goes! :D