tumor front left paw

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
WIL69

tumor front left paw

Post by WIL69 »

Hello, Our family has a Springer Spaniel who a couple of months ago was diagnosed with a tumor on his left front paw. The Vet gave us 2 options amputation or put him down. neither of which is something we can do 1st it costs too much for surgery and he is a older dog so he probably wouldn't make it through anyway and the other option just will not work. he is still in real good spirits and plays with the kids and we do have him on pain meds. but me overdoes it and it starts to bother him . If anyone has any advice or has experienced an issue such as this and found a way such as a support for his leg and paw please let us know I did talk to a person at HandicappedPets but they had nothing to offer unless someone out there knows or maybe made their own modifications to splint or even made their own any and all info and help will be greatly appreciated . Thank You in advance
Diana R.

Re: tumor front left paw

Post by Diana R. »

Where is the tumor located on the paw? Is the vet saying it is cancerous---did he discuss with you doing a biopsy and could they surgically remove the tumor. Of course, I am not in a position of your vet who has seen your dog but both options he gave you seem pretty extreme to me.
WIL69

Post by WIL69 »

The tumor is on the very outer edge of the paw . Yes he did do a biopsy and it was not a cancerous form of tumor.He basically stated that in the area of the tumor it probably is affecting the joint and that amputation would probably be the only course. but even he had mentioned the possibility that max might not make it thru surgery or even be able to adapt to three legs. so he is keeping him on amantadine 100mg pain pills which seems to help alittle but he still will not put the paw down on the ground to walk and if he does just the very tip .
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I think you'd need a custom splint, and I'd start by contacting local orthotists and prosthetists to see if they'd be willing to help. Orthovet is willing to make custom products as well as their standard ones, but it's rather a pain.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Does he mean amputating the whole foot/leg, or just the toe on that side? Why does he think an entire amputation is needed? There have been dogs here with part of their paw missing.

Age is a concern, but they can do blood tests to see how healthy he is in terms of his kidney function, liver, etc., and check his heart and lungs. If he is healthy for his age, maybe removal of the tumor is still an option. How old is he?

Here is a photo from http://www.dogleggs.com showing a sling they make that supports the whole front leg. It is called a Velpeau sling. However, I do not know if this is appropriate for your dog. I am not sure what other problems it might cause, or whether simply getting the weight off the foot is enough to make him comfortable. But you could ask your vet about it.
Forelimb+sling+sm.JPG
WIL69

Post by WIL69 »

Thank you for the information , I will check on the custom splint and also check on the sling . The way the dogs leg is positioned in that sling is pretty much how he hold it up. To backup alittle.the vet did do blood tests and all the checks and he said Max would probably be o.k. but no guarantees . he also is concerned of him adapting to the three leg thing, it appears to from how he explained it was that older dogs have stability issues and sometimes are unable to get around at all or very little with only 3 legs. He only gave us a complete amputation alternative due to the fact that if all the tumor is not removed it could cause it to spread to other parts of his body. And Max is going on 12 yrs old so having the initial surgery with blood work, xrays , and other meds would cost well over one thousand he said it would be something to think over very heavily about. Right now we spend forty nine dollars for thirty day supply of pain pills. And we told the vet money was not an issue. but if I can find something that he could wear some of the time to get relief then I wouldn't have to worry about the surgery and what might happen, just make him comfortable . Thanks Again for all who have wrote me . :)