Puppy missing rear feet

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
zydeco548

Puppy missing rear feet

Post by zydeco548 »

Hi,
In brief I have been a vet tech for 19 years and live with blind & deaf cats and a dachshund with Ehlers-Danlos among other animals. I'm currently fostering a puppy for a local rescue that was born without her back feet (or they were chewed off by mom). I've had her since she was 4 days old and now at 7 weeks she has become very active. Her feet are missing about 1/2 way to her hock w/ just skin and hair over the "nubs". She has recently started to limp and develop small sores :(. She tends to stick to the rugs and beds in the house as I'm sure it hurts her.

I'm sure she will eventually need a wheelchair and we are hoping to find a home with someone who can provide one, however I was hoping for some tips on what to do in the meantime. Obtaining wheels for a rapidly grown puppy doesn't seem very logical. I've looked at a variety of boots but none seem too padded or don't fit right because they angle down to where feet should be on her. Other seem very stiff and inflexible.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or suggestions on how to keep her happy and comfortable?

(p.s.: she will probably end up a medium size dog as DNA test showed Maltese/chow with a splash of shepherd, springer, yorkie, JRT thrown in)

Thanks for your time.
Attachments
you can see her feet in this pic, taken a few weeks ago.
you can see her feet in this pic, taken a few weeks ago.
janew

Re: Puppy missing rear feet

Post by janew »

Hi, First let me thank you for taking her in! Also for opening your heart & home to your permanent crew (sounds like my household)!
I wonder if you can get someone to make her 'legs' when she is finished growing, since she is normally functioning in the rear otherwise. They make prostitiac (sp?) legs for alot of species now, maybe someone would work with the rescue.
Till you can look into that, what about filling some dog boots semi full with foam topped with gauze to cushion her, I'm not sure they would stay put but maybe worth a shot. Maybe fitting some foam or padding on her stubs & vet wrapping it to stay on up her legs then putting duct tape on the bottom to slow down the wear? Maybe she would fit in a human baby's footed sleeper that you could stuff padding into the rear feet to cushion her 'stubbs'??? I hope someone comes up with a solution to keep this cutie comfy till she gets 'legs' or a cart...
jane
patotas

I'm sorry I can't be of much help but....

Post by patotas »

you care for a Daschund with Ehlers-Danlos? :O
zydeco548

Post by zydeco548 »

Yes, I've had him since he was 4 weeks old. He is nearly 4 years old now and has lived much longer than everyone thought he would.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Have you considered prostheses? Admittedly there's still the growing problem... How about Walkin' Wheels, which adjust? I can't say whether WW can grow all the way up with him, though.