Cat aggressive toward dogs

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
carendt0

Cat aggressive toward dogs

Post by carendt0 »

Hello. My parents just moved into a smaller space and the dogs (Saint and Aussie) don't have as much space. They used to stay in the kitchen/laundry area (which was huge) plus the huge back yard. Now they have a much smaller kitchen with no laundry room to retreat to and a tiny backyard. Now they would be able to roam the house, but there are two Persian cats and one in particular is very aggressive toward the Saint. So my mother is keeping them in the tiny kitchen and backyard (away from the cat), and the saint seems very depressed about the lack of space. I would take them, but I live in a tiny one bedroom second story apartment. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you.

C
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat aggressive toward dogs

Post by critters »

Can the cats get more vertical space to get away from the dogs? We LOVE a 4-level cat tree I got from Amazon for about $50 that fits on a door. I can't post the link now, but remind me to do it later.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Here's the small, but effective, climber we love. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001362AFS
viktor

Post by viktor »

Buying the cat climber is the best solution of your problem. It will not take much space in the room, but offer much space to your cat.
cynta_y

Post by cynta_y »

I'm sorry to jump into the conversation with something unrelated but i don't know how else to get you to see this post! In Aug 2010 you (carendt0) posted about your St with the massive hair loss. You took your St. to the vet?? I was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what you found out about the hair loss. My 5 yr old is doing the EXACT same thing. Your post about the tuffs of hair..... OMG Tonight i sat and brushed and vacumed my Delaney (My Saint Bernards name) for an hour and a half. and i could have continued for another 4 hours. I have gotten so many different possibilities from people but none of them quite understood what i meant. You know exactally what we are going thru lol That's a LOT Of DOG with A LOT of HAIR! and she doesn't seem to be herself either.... she seems down..... sleeping a lil more than normal...... hiding up in my room. Please where do i go from here?? What can i do to help her!!

My name is Cj York

cynta69@hotmail.com

Please i want to help my baby get back to her fluffy soft self! her happy self!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi CJ,

Until you get another answer, I just wanted to put my two cents in. Have you been to the vet with your dog. It sounds like a blood panel can pinpoint what is going on - possibly a thyroid condition? Have you changed food lately - any medications?

Glad you found us...please keep us posted. :welcomepink:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

about the aggressive cat
i definitely agree with more vertical space for the cats. something that has settled down several aggressive cats here is a calming collar. IttyBitty had a bad case of torment the other cats, and the calming collar put a stop to it. it has worked with several other cats too. you can get them at any petstore, or walmart.
downsizing your living area is hard, esp with that many animals. hope you can get it worked out.
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"