Dry cracked pads on back feet of partially disabled dog

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
shaesgrammi

Dry cracked pads on back feet of partially disabled dog

Post by shaesgrammi »

Our guy Turbo has dry cracked pads on his back feet. He was hit by a car last year and when we adopted him they didnt explain this would happen and I just noticed the other day how dry and cracked they are..He has been trying to stand on them with assistance and if he is to ever walk again how could he on these dry cracked feet..No one told us what to do for this. They are very dry and we want to help get them moist and soft again..If so stupid for not realising this sooner..How can we do this..any suggestions are welcome. I googled a few ideas but thought I would try here first.. :thankyou: everyone for any help..
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dry cracked pads on back feet of partially disabled dog

Post by critters »

I'd try rubbing in plain old petroleum jelly; it should work, and it's OK if he licks the pads after you put it on.
shaesgrammi

Post by shaesgrammi »

Thank you..I just put some on him today and massaged them..they are so dry..I am going to try and keep them moisturized and put baby socks on him during the night as he doesnt move around..I really appreciate your advice and welcome any other ideas that have worked or you come up with.. :angel:
shaesgrammi

Post by shaesgrammi »

Well I have to say that good ole vaseline so far doing the trick. The old dried up stuff is sloughing off..Underneath it is soft pads. I left on the vaseline overnight and washed and dried his feet this morning. Then put on another coat of vaseline for today. When I got home from work. I started to feel them and the stuff just started crumbling off..I was careful to make sure there were no cracks or bleeding and there wasnt just soft pads..I washed and cleaned them again and put on polysporin and baby socks for the night making sure they werent too snug..He is asleep and will check on them tomorrow..Thanks for this great forum..I lurk most of the time and dont post but do appreciate everyone here...will try and get here more often.. :thankyou: :wub:
kimmal

Post by kimmal »

Glad i found this as i too have a disabled dog with dried cracking pads.....aarrggh....felt such a moron for not noticing before...eel relieved im not the only one....shall try your remedy.....thankyou so much xx :D :D :D
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

At this point I'd switch to an emollient skin cream- there are some good foot creams, or use something like udder cream. Vaseline is a petroleum product and ultimately may remove the oils from the pads so I don't think it is the best thing for long term use. (Speaking as a chemist and not from experience.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
kimmal

Post by kimmal »

Hi Thanks for the reply.....i am alternating between olive oil and aqueous cream?. what do you think? xx :roll:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

That sounds like a good idea. Olive oil isn't as drying as petroleum jelly, and alternating will help keep the feet moisturized.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
kimmal

Post by kimmal »

Oh Good Thanks :) xx :D
Salem1

Post by Salem1 »

I have a recent severely injured english springer spaniel (one year old) having been hit by a car April1st of this year. Has had 5 surgeries on three of the four legs/hips and is in need of a 3rd on his right hip. I noticed that his pads are yellowish orange and very dry. I worry about him licking petroleum products. Is bag balm OK? Also others were talking about rotating with another product. Does anyone have a brand name of this product. Is this product OK for licking?

I also am going to post in a different area regarding rehab. Churchill has external fixator with 6 pins on the right front leg humerus and had internal fixation of both left and right hips, the right having failed twice and will need the ball removed when we are ready. Can't put him through another surgery right now. He is completely immobile currently as we have to carry him in and outside for his duties. I think he might also be getting a decubitus on the right front elbow. Taking him to our local vet today, who was wonderful at supportive care until we could transport some distance to a medical center for diagnoses and care.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

Boy, you are sure doing your utmost for this dog. I do not know about paw pads product, hopefully someone will answer that. I was going to suggest that you could just put socks on his feet to prevent licking. For the elbow, you may want to look at all the products available through the DogLeggs website. They definitely have protection for elbows.

http://www.dogleggs.com/

:welcome: