Bullmastiff rescue puppy

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Bullmastiff

Bullmastiff rescue puppy

Post by Bullmastiff »

My 10wk Bullmastiff pup has been diagnosed with Intention Tremor due to oxygen deprivation during birth. I need info regarding the care and treatment for this intelligent and beautiful dog. The Vet said she has the sensation of falling when she concentrates, and is wobbly as a result. I was told not to walk her before 6 mos, and I just want to do the best possible to provide her with a good life. I am seeking info re this diagnosis, and guidance to giving her the best life possible. She's very intelligent, and well tempered, is such a sweet little girl, please help me to best manage her condition.
Thank you for suggestions and advice, especially for this large breed and young age.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Bullmastiff rescue puppy

Post by critters »

:slant: I'd bet she has cerebellar hypoplasia, which is what they call cerebral palsy in critters. I don't think they have the sensation of falling; I think it's just that the cerebellum, which allows fine control of muscles, etc., is nuked. My Baby, who has at least a triple dose of CH, wobbles even when she's lying flat out, and even her eyes wobble (nystagmus). I disagree about not walking your baby, but you may well have to use some adaptations, such as a harness, walking harness, or the like to get it done safely for both of you.
Bullmastiff

Post by Bullmastiff »

Thank you for your response, any and all info is appreciated. :) She seems to have bad days, moments, or hours, and then is just right as rain. I was told that when she's 3yrs it should go away, perhaps, after she stops growing. Time will tell, I guess. I couldn't see waiting until she's 6 months to leash train her, so we've been doing a bit at a time, and only when she seems steady. I've had her a whole 6 days now, and we are settling in nicely. Thanks for giving me more to research and investigate, this pup has totally won my heart. <3
Christine

Post by Christine »

:group:

I just have to see a picture of this cutie! Bless you for rescuing her. What is her name?
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08