Hepatitis in a paralyzed cat from drug toxicity

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Jean

Hepatitis in a paralyzed cat from drug toxicity

Post by Jean »

My four year old paralyzed cat Caramel Apple didn't eat like normal for several days. She would only eat a few bites with continual prompting. I took her to the vet and we did blood work. Her liver values were over 300 and normal is around 100. I have been force feeding her for almost 3 weeks now and finally her values are in the normal range although, I still can not get her to eat anything without assistance. I totally stopped all bladder meds bethanechol, robaxin and prazosin. Now, I am gradually introducing them but at a much smaller dosage. She has always been on more meds than the others who are paralyzed due to her tight bladder spincter. The vet had told me months ago when we raised her Robaxin dosage that she was at the maximum dosage.
Has any one else experienced similar problems ?
I guess this is something that I should have anticipated since my students with seizure disorders are continually having their med levels checked.
Christine

Re: Hepatitis in a paralyzed cat from drug toxicity

Post by Christine »

Jean, you might want to read about milk thistle and ask your vet. I used it for Bailey.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/milk ... nder-herb/
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Jean

Post by Jean »

Christine I'll read about it and talk to my vet. Thanks for your response. Jean
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Jean,

No, I have no experience with that, but I'm glad you were able to catch it and get her back to eating, and I can't believe she's 4 years old already. Would there be some kind of surgery they could do that would permanently loosen the sphincter? I've never heard of it, I'm just asking. You might have other problems then, but if she needs a lot of meds and they are hard on her system, I am trying to think if there is another option?
Jean

Post by Jean »

Carol thanks for the ideas and your reply.
I think that that was what Critter's Buddy had. He had a PO ? I think?
Jean

Post by Jean »

Caramel has started back to eating. She ate almost 1/2 of a cup today!!
She will only eat the kitten's Royal Canin baby kitten food but anything is better than nothing. I will just need to adjust her meds according to the tightness of her bladder spincter. Now, I'm scared to give anyone bladder meds but know I don't really have a choice.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Jean wrote:Carol thanks for the ideas and your reply.
I think that that was what Critter's Buddy had. He had a PO ? I think?
PO? Not placing what that means... Are you asking what surgery Buddy had?
Jean

Post by Jean »

I know Buddy had surgery because he was very difficult to express. I just couldn't remember what it was called. Didn't the surgery create an artificial open where urine could be collected?
I know it has been a while since you lost Buddy. I hope me mentioning it doesn't cause you pain.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Glad to see she is eating better now, bless her heart. :angel:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Jean wrote:I know Buddy had surgery because he was very difficult to express. I just couldn't remember what it was called. Didn't the surgery create an artificial open where urine could be collected?
I know it has been a while since you lost Buddy. I hope me mentioning it doesn't cause you pain.
It was a urethrostomy. Yes, he had a stoma in his belly, with a pezzar tube hanging out of it, to drain his bladder. I tell everybody I can, especially vets, about him, and our current cats-only vet has a copy of the letter the surgeon sent about it, just in case anybody else should need it. Buddy developed a spasm at the neck of his bladder secondary to his spinal cord injury and tertiary to bladder crystals; even when the crystals were gone, the spasm remained.