Open Sore on Back Leg of Paralyzed Welsh Pembroke Corgi

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
IndyROOROO

Open Sore on Back Leg of Paralyzed Welsh Pembroke Corgi

Post by IndyROOROO »

My son's dog RooRoo has an open sore that he has been managing on his back hind leg. He is paralzed after being boarded at a vet in Indy. He is under doctor's care on antibiotics and is in a wheelchair. My son and daughter in law love their dog tremendously. They religiously bandage his leg wrapping it in gauze and then an ace bandage like the vet told them to, but the sore is not healing and they can see through to his bone. The dog will never walk again and my son helps express his bladder and has since the day he and my daughter-in-law returned from their honeymoon last September. (Dog became paralzed while being cared for by his vet.) Putting the dog to sleep is not an option. My son is trying everything possible to care for his best friend, but is struggling with the stress. Do any of you have any suggestions that might help RooRoo with the healing process? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. RooRoo's Nannie
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Open Sore on Back Leg of Paralyzed Welsh Pembroke Corgi

Post by Bobbie »

I'm not very clear on where the sore is or what has caused it. However, my first suggestion is that you or your son or his wife join the Corgis on Wheels group.

Second- sore: if it is being caused by the wheelchair, the dog needs to stay OUT of it most of the time until the sore heals. If it is being caused by dragging on the floor when not in the cart, then he needs to be confined or kept in the cart so he can't drag until it heals. It won't heal if what has caused it is continuing.

Third, I'd ask what they are using on it. A lot of people think things like betadine will help healing, but once initial cleansing is done nothing harsh should be used on the skin.

Fourth, if there is bone showing, they may need to have it surgically closed. When did the vet see the sore last?

If you PM me yours or their emails I can send invitations to join the Corgis on Wheels group.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Hello and :welcomepurple:

I'm sorry to hear about RooRoo. I'm Joanne and I have 2 paralyzed dogs, a Lab and Tiny a mixed breed. Abrasions and ulcers are something that I am on the watch for all the time and they can, as your son is finding out, be difficult to heal. At this point you might want to have your son talk to his vet and let them know that the wound is not healing. They should probably have it cultured as it may well be infected. I unfortunately have had to deal with ulcers where I could see tendons and bones. These wounds typically heal with regular cleaning and bandage changes (twice daily), although sometimes need antibiotics and, in severe cases surgical debridement and closure.

Wishing you the best
joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Are they using a nonstick telfa pad under the gauze?
IndyROOROO

Post by IndyROOROO »

Yes. We're taking the advice of leaving the bandage off to let the air hit it too from another reader. RooRoo is under he care of a vet and is also taking antibiotics. Thanks much for your reply.