Foster Dog in need of Urgent help

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Shiskra

Foster Dog in need of Urgent help

Post by Shiskra »

My name is April and I have a 3yo mini aussi mix that i have been fostering since mid feb named Benji. Benji has been through #### and back. He was brought to me straight from a shelter with no back ground on him. He had such a large "hot spot" on his side that it had started to turn black from deterioration. He was absolutely terrified of me and anyone that came within 50 feet of him. No barking or growling, he would just turn to flight and try to run. We quickly got him to a vet and got his wound cleaned up. He stayed in a bandage for roughly 5 weeks. Over that time I worked with him a great deal and no he shows little to no hesitation when meeting strangers. Towards the end of the healing time, they found that he had an intestinal infection as well. The treatment for it was much quicker and within a week or so he was a happy healthy dog who loved to follow at my heals and go to my kids school to meet new people. Then about 3 weeks ago, a small twitch started in his back right leg. Every one assumed (including the vet) that he had some how pinched a nerve while playing with my other dogs. Everyone also assumed that it would go away on it own. However, it did not and slowly began to get worse. Now both back legs twitch causing him never use his back right leg and often using neither. When we took him back to the vet, he was diagnosed with post distemper. The vet said that had survived distemper at some point (probably when he was a puppy) and no the side effects are starting to catch up with him. The people i volunteer with had never heard of such a thing happening, but after research we came to the conclusion that it was true (but rare). Because the twitch never stops he has a hard time sleeping and recently has started crying in his sleep. The words "put him down" started lingering on the other volunteers lips.

Right now im doing everything I can to find something to make him feel better, because aside from the crying at night he does not act like he is ready to die. He still smiles when the people he likes the most come home and he tries with all his might to run to us when his name is called. He eats anything and everything now that we have pulled him off the meds the vet gave him (there was no change his twitching and they were making him loose weight at an absurd rate). I was just recently given permission to try something new with him from the only woman on my side. So as soon as i can find a store that sells Nux Vomica or even if i have to order it online, he will start taking that and we will begin a Ttouch program to help relieve pain and hopefully get the damaged nerves responding again. He needs to find his forever home and i fear I won't be able to find someone willing to take the time for him.

In the mean time I was told by another foster organization that i should try giving him a cart to help him move around more easily. Taking the pressure off of his hips and legs might make it easier at night for him to relax. Our organization does not have that kind of funding (especially since we usually don't deal with rescues unless its urgent) and this new approach im taking will be out of my pocket. I don't have the resources for anything fancy either and really have no clue how to go about building or even what type to build. But, I just can't give up on this dog when he has fought to stay alive. Any info on carts would be such a great help, or even more info on stuff i could do to help him.

Thank you so much in advance for even taking your time to read.
Sincerely,
April

Benji two days ago, very happy to be sitting between my two children.
CarolC

Re: Foster Dog in need of Urgent help

Post by CarolC »

I'm afraid I don't know much about distemper, but I think the cart is a good idea, he has the kind of look on his face like he wants to get out and DO things, he just looks so eager. All dogs are not like that, but he sure looks that way. There is a cart manufacturer that makes a very simple cart, the dog has to be under 50 lbs. They are very affordable and the company will work with you on payment arrangements.
http://www.dogstogo.net/prices.htm wrote:For those of you needing special payment arrangements, please be sure to contact us BEFORE ORDERING at Dogstogo19@aol.com. We will be happy to work with you on payments that will fit your needs but you must talk to us BEFORE you order.

Also, If you are ordering from a shelter, rescue or veterinary practice, please be sure to mention that. We offer a 10% discount to these organizations and businesses. But, you must tell us before you pay so we can get that discount to you.
We have a recycling program for used carts. Please consider donating your cart back to us if you do not need it anymore. We will refurbish it and make it available to anyone who needs it for little or no charge. We donate quite a few of these carts every year to rescue organizations. Your donation truly helps another family and their pet to get back to a happy life again.
Hope this helps. I am so sorry others around you are pushing to give up, I support your determination to try to help him.

If you want to say what state or city you are in, there may be a cart company near you that you could also contact.

In addition, Walkin' Wheels has a program of donating carts to rescues, however I'm not sure how long it takes to go through the application process.

http://www.hpets.org/apply-for-help.html
critters
Founding Member

Re: Foster Dog in need of Urgent help

Post by critters »

What was he taking that wasn't helping?