Possible Manx Syndrome

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
FYI

Re: Possible Manx Syndrome

Post by FYI »

animallover2036 wrote:I'm just having such a hard time with her pooping....I can feel it backed up even though she did poop once already today...the vet told me I need to stick a thermometer in there and pull it out...but she screams when I try and it doesn't work very well. I do massage her rear and her belly and it will eventually come out but she protests the entire time :roll: My little girl is feisty I was just wondering if anyone else had any more tips for me on getting her to poop regularly :)
Bendy Kitty in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1907&p=7988&hilit=baths#p7988 wrote:
yep, warm baths help
by Bendy Kitty » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:00 pm

i don't have lots of net time, but I wanted to pop in here! I'm assuming he is constipated, poor kitten!
Docusate Sodium is a safe (but horrid tasting) stool softener, it is very effective. For a tiny kitten you puncture the capsule & put some on the back of their tongue. Squirt a little tuna juice or something else strong tasting after it. The kitten will still hate it & might foam some. don't panic!

Pumpkin pulp - which many kitties adore - is also very helpful. even just a quarter teaspoon a day for such a tiny kitten should be helpful.

Warm soaks are very very very helpful. Darned if I know why. We have done thsi many times Put some nice warm warm water in a pan or bowl & sit the kitten in it. Massage their belly, give them lots of scritches. Soak the kitten butt for at least 5 minutes, more if he'll let you!

It is very importatn to thoroughly dry the kitten afterwards as lil kittens get chilled very easily. What we do is put a hairdryer on low and sit it about 5 feet away from where we are. That makes a nice warm breeze, but isn't so terrifying to the kitten.

Thank you for trying to help this kitten!

bendy kitty
animallover2036

Post by animallover2036 »

FYI wrote:
animallover2036 wrote:I'm just having such a hard time with her pooping....I can feel it backed up even though she did poop once already today...the vet told me I need to stick a thermometer in there and pull it out...but she screams when I try and it doesn't work very well. I do massage her rear and her belly and it will eventually come out but she protests the entire time :roll: My little girl is feisty I was just wondering if anyone else had any more tips for me on getting her to poop regularly :)
Bendy Kitty in http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1907&p=7988&hilit=baths#p7988 wrote:
yep, warm baths help
by Bendy Kitty » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:00 pm

i don't have lots of net time, but I wanted to pop in here! I'm assuming he is constipated, poor kitten!
Docusate Sodium is a safe (but horrid tasting) stool softener, it is very effective. For a tiny kitten you puncture the capsule & put some on the back of their tongue. Squirt a little tuna juice or something else strong tasting after it. The kitten will still hate it & might foam some. don't panic!

Pumpkin pulp - which many kitties adore - is also very helpful. even just a quarter teaspoon a day for such a tiny kitten should be helpful.

Warm soaks are very very very helpful. Darned if I know why. We have done thsi many times Put some nice warm warm water in a pan or bowl & sit the kitten in it. Massage their belly, give them lots of scritches. Soak the kitten butt for at least 5 minutes, more if he'll let you!

It is very importatn to thoroughly dry the kitten afterwards as lil kittens get chilled very easily. What we do is put a hairdryer on low and sit it about 5 feet away from where we are. That makes a nice warm breeze, but isn't so terrifying to the kitten.

Thank you for trying to help this kitten!

bendy kitty
Well little Oreo is going back to the vet tomorrow to hopefully get her vaccines. I will talk to the vet about the Lactulose and I do give her a little pumpkin once in a while. I'm just not sure how often she needs it. Today her poop is rather soft and when I stimulate her she cries like it hurts :( I just don't know what to do for my little girl. Last time the vet suggested sticking a thermometer in there and trying to pull it out...but she screams and cries when the thermometer goes in and I can never get a lot of poop to come out. Hopefully the vet will help clear some things up in the morning :) Thank you all for all your help so far!
animallover2036

Post by animallover2036 »

I just wanted to update everyone on Oreo's progress :)

She got her radiographs and appears to be missing some vertebrae in her spine near the base of her tail. A few vertebrae in the tail are fused and the joints in her back legs appear to be backwards. She is quite the mystery kitty the vet said he never saw anything like that before! Other than that she is doing well...her stool went from being hard and she was constipated to her having diarrhea and being miserable. The vet prescribed Fortiflora a probiotic and it is working wonders! She is very playful and happy and I am finally getting some diapers made up this weekend so she can sleep on the bed. :) I hope this can help someone else that may find a kitty like this! I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way as well.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Regulating poop can be a trial. Glad you found something that works!

Oh, yeah, wonky mystery critters are a specialty around this board! :lol: