Back belt for dogs?

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
BobbiezCritterz

Back belt for dogs?

Post by BobbiezCritterz »

One of my Pugs, Brody, was recently diagnosed w/narrowed vertebra. Every so often, he tweeks his back and is in extreme pain. Then it's a pain pill and ice. I've been working on keeping him as mellow, but he's a spaz and thinks he's being punished when I don't let him out. He's litter box trained, so going out to potty isn't necessary, but he sure does like it. I wanted to put a back belt on him, but can't come up w/an idea. Do they make such a thing? His injury is down low, by the tail. Had it been up around the chest, I was going to try a thunder shirt. If he was a girl, a belly band would probably work, but those darn dilly whackers get in the way! I don't want to have to wrap that up, that wouldn't be comfy for him. So, any thoughts? He's only seven and wants to be very active. I've been giving him various supplements and he hasn't had an "episode" in a few weeks now.

Bobbie
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Back belt for dogs?

Post by Bobbie »

Ah, another Bobbie!

Yes, there are such things. No knowing yet if they help, but google back brace dogs.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Bobbie,

Is this an older dog? Did they do any xrays of the area?
BobbiezCritterz

He's seven and they did do xrays. Thanks for responding.
BobbiezCritterz

O.K., so looking at back braces. Seems they are all designed for injuries up high on the torso, his is down low, by his butt, makes it a bit more challenging (those darn dilly whackers are just in the way). I'll keep looking. Thanks for the tip. Back belt for dogs didn't get me anywhere.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. Maybe put a back brace on with the velcro on his back and cut a hole in it for his dilly whacker? (Like that term! :mrgreen: )

Human neoprene back braces would probably be too big, but I wonder about a neoprene knee brace? It couldn't be a pull-on, of course... Just thinking out loud...
BobbiezCritterz

Thanks, I did find one. While it is primarily designed for "high" back issues, it does go all the way down. But, so far, so good. I've been giving him various supplements, made sure he can't jump off the deck anymore and trying to keep him calm. Hasn't tweaked it in a bit, so fingers crossed.
galenkpreston

Post by galenkpreston »

I wish your dig is fit ad find now!
What is the condition? :roll:
BobbiezCritterz

I have been giving him Pain Away, a Glucosamine, MSM, and two other natural supplements, twice a day and no issues since then. His brother also began showing symptoms of back pain and he's getting some too. No issues with either of them.