Eczema solution

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
maine_coonz

Eczema solution

Post by maine_coonz »

I am posting this in the hope that it might be of help to others.

One of my cats Euclid has had a recurring eczema problems for the last few years, and despite numerous tests (blood, biopsies, skin scrapings, urine+stool, allergy tests, etc.) the Vets never found a cause. It would start as scabs at the base of his ears, then the ears would swell up inside and out, his eyes would swell, and the sores would gradually cover his head and neck, sometimes going down onto his shoulders and chest. Needless to say, the poor guy itched like crazy, and had to live in a collar to stop him from damaging himself even more.

Our Vets have recommended various approaches/solutions over the years: flea-bite dermatitis, mange, mites, miliary dermatitis, allergens eg. pollen, stress, the list goes on and on, but mostly they insisted it was a food allergy problem. Since he is raw fed, I really, really didn't believe it (but hey, what do I know), and nevertheless paid out a small fortune for various tinned diet foods. Needless to say, they were absolutely useless. In conjunction with the diet foods, we were using various corticosteroids and antibiotics to help with the itching, and topical creams such as hydrocortisone. Each attack would last some months, and then gradually improve until it was all gone. The duration of the attacks vary between 6 weeks and 5 months, and do not seem to be seasonal.

When it became clear that we had an ongoing problem that did not seem to be curable once and for all, we had to stop and think. The Vet said it was inadvisable to continue using the corticosteroids, as it has bad side-effects and isn't recommended for long-term use. Also, Euclid would do his best to lick the cream off his skin, which meant he had to more or less live in a collar, which he really hated.

So last year I decided to consult the same homeopathic Vet who helped enormously with the Raz problem (http://www.kestrel.ws/erasmus.html), Dr Lerke. She spoke with our regular Vet, examined Euclid, and said she thought it was stress, and we needed to think in terms of managing the problem rather than curing it. She recommended Dr Niedermaier's RechtsRegulat. We were extremely doubtful, but hey, what's to lose? And so we gave it a go.

Honestly, the stuff is a miracle. No steroids or other yucky creams, easy to apply, harmless if ingested. But best of all, it works, it really does, way better than any of the prescription stuff we've ever tried. And even though it's horribly expensive, it ends up way cheaper than all the Vet bills + prescription medicines. (Sound like an advert, don't I!) Not only does it seem to clear up the sores, but it almost instantly stops the itching, and lets poor Euclid have some peace.

The liquid is difficult to store because it degrades, and we only use about half the bottle for an attack. So we mix the entire bottle one-to-one with water, freeze the mixture in ice-cube trays, and store in the freezer in plastic bags. We take out one cube each night and put it in the fridge in a small glass with a lid so it doesn't evaporate. Then using a syringe, we spray the affected areas twice a day just before meal-times so Euclid is too busy thinking about food to lick it off. Voila!

You can get it at amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Niedermaier- ... B001NZ1QH2, although I'm sure health food shops would also stock it.
I'd love to hear if anyone tries this and it works for them too.

Best Wishes to all,

Maine_Coonz
Erasmus (Raz) + Euclid + Heimdall,
Living in Germany