My cat doesn't poop..and the vet is confusing me.

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
aymendj

My cat doesn't poop..and the vet is confusing me.

Post by aymendj »

Hello, help please,

My cat who's only about a month old doesn't poop, I found her outside about 10 days ago dirty and skinny with a near closed eye and a swollen stomach, I brought her home, bathed her and fed her, next day took her to the vet, they said she had parasites and gas, so they gave her medicine and said it should be fine, the same day she had diarrhea, I thought she should be fine by tomorrow, but she doesn't poop, or seems to find difficulty to, since i find only little traces on her behind.
Now three days after I took her to the vet, she doesn't poop, I took her again today and they said she probably has a big "worm" left in her belly and she can die in the next days without even examining her (Such incompetence) and gave her two shots of I don't know what, then told me to bring her back tomorrow..and he told me to give her nothing but milk and gave me a medicine to give her twice a day.

Now she doesn't want to drink milk and is very hungry, she smells the food and keeps meowing, and i think she was even meowing out of pain :(

Sorry to take your time and for the long post but i really can't stand this.
CarolC

Re: My cat doesn't poop..and the vet is confusing me.

Post by CarolC »

:welcome:

I am not an expert on kittens, but here is a good video that may help.

aymendj

Post by aymendj »

CarolC wrote::welcome:

I am not an expert on kittens, but here is a good video that may help.

Thanks, will check.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

your vet is giving you the standard answers without telling you much else you can do, only partially helpful.
kittens can actually be born with roundworms, most are, and it can make it hard for them to poop. diarrhea right after worming medication is actually pretty common, so that by itself woudln't worry me.

Very young kittens need to be stimulated, usually the mom does this with her tongue, but people prefer to use a warm washcloth.

when i have kittens who aren't pooping from suspected constipation, i give them belly/butt soaks in warm water (do not expect them to enjoy this) for about 10 minutes and then massage their bellies. If you have sensitive fingers you can press carefully and feel for anything that might be a piece of stool, and massage it along its way.

i think the vet is wanting only milk to keep a lot of liquid in her diet, which is critical to passing stool, adn is concerned that solid food might just contribute to teh problem.
My current bottle kittens had constiptation problems, and I found giving them about a half cc of vegetable oil helped move things along. too much and they get diarrhea. Kittens can be stubborn about what they want to eat! What kind of solid food is she getting? Can you soak it in milk, or just add enough to thicken the milk to see if that will make her more interested?

hope this helps.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
aymendj

Post by aymendj »

Thank you for the reply, BendyMom:

She seems to love boiled rice, and since rice practically has no negative effects I would try to soak it with milk.

As for the stimulation, even though I never did it before I'll try it.

Thanks again.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Bendy is sure right about kittens being picky! Fartling refused to wean and refused to eat anything but vanilla ice cream. I ended up having to mix ice cream into Fancy Feast to get him to eat it. :D
aymendj

Post by aymendj »

Thanks all for the help, I had to put some olive oil with rice since I didn't have vegetable oil that night, today I took her to the vet and he gave her some vegy oil with rice (although he's been giving her constipation shots daily)
Shee poops fine now :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I've heard of people using olive oil for that, but whatever works!! :mrgreen:
aymendj

Post by aymendj »

critters wrote:I've heard of people using olive oil for that, but whatever works!! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'm glad I came here (y)
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Glad everything is moving along well now.
i've used veggie oil, olive oil, vaseline, beef fat, whatever i had handy that was essentially grease and edible.

glad you came here too :)
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.