Large open fontanel

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.
Nicolemg

Large open fontanel

Post by Nicolemg »

Hello, I have a new puppy, a 14 week old malti poo, and she has a large fontanel that the vet does not believe will get any smaller. My puppy is super smart and active right now and I want her to have a normal, fun, adventurous puppy/doggy life but the vet says she is at high risk of serious injury since her brain is so exposed. I am looking and praying that I can find some sort of protective head gear for her. Like human protective head gear for people with major head trauma, parts of their skulls missing or epileptics have helmets, I am looking for one for my dog. Does anyone know where I may be able to find one or who I may be able to contact about designing one? Any ideas, suggestions are welcomed. Thank you, Nicole
critters
Founding Member

Re: Large open fontanel

Post by critters »

:slant: Quite a few years ago I did a huge search for helmets for my Baby, who is a non-walker with cerebellar hypoplasia (critter cerebral palsy). I didn't have any luck for her, but I expect there are a lot more options now. If you run out of cat/dog options, try manufacturers for infant helmets to see if they might do a custom one for your baby. Somebody does knitted or crocheted ones for CHers, but, personally, I wouldn't trust that with an open fontanel; I'd want more reliable protection.